ListenToMe.net Forums Forum Index
<  Listen To Me  ~  Mormoms suck
JCC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:26 pm  Reply with quote
Internet Jesus

Mormons came a'knocking on my door yesterday! I talked to them a bit, and today they're coming back with a Book of Mormon. Should be fun times. Smile

Magdalene
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:18 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

10% of my income went to that book of mormon, so you'd better enjoy it!! =P
JCC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:29 pm  Reply with quote
Internet Jesus

I've got about six of them, because I just can't help but play along with your door-to-door squad.

Magdalene
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:15 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

before I was baptized I did that too. the idea of a stranger coming to your door and expecting to be let into your home to talk is so novel. my mom is a large trucker of a woman, and also claims to be pagan. it is very necessary to her that all missionaries know that. They also need to know that she WAS mormon but decided to leave because of her mother (then they must know how mean her mother, a member of the LDS church, was). the guys always take it really well and develop a fondness for her, so i think they must enjoy/expect to be teased/

i wish the missionaries were more frugal with the book of mormon though. anyone who wants one should have access to them, BUT in most cases the guys offer a book, and even after you say no, they persist. most people end up accepting them, and then they just have another book they have no intention of reading to find a place for. blah blah blah yes.
JCC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:58 pm  Reply with quote
Internet Jesus

Fuck, I think that means I just took a step toward Mormonism.

Phen Lie-All
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:18 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Magdalene wrote:

The whole thing about having to get baptised again is a tough subject for a lot of people. We believe that baptism is more than just going in the water and coming out again just because Christ said to. It is a very important covenant you make with God. You promise to obey God's commandments and try your best to be a good person, and God promises to you blessings if you do.

And therein is the problem. You do not "try your best" for you cannot save yourself. Your sin is on the Cross. If you are one of Christ's Predestined Elect? then His Grace is irresistable. There is nothing further you need to do. You don't need to stop drinking and it's cool if you beat your wife. Jesus will not hold either against you. I am a firm believer in old-school Calvinist theology.

In fact, it is IMPOSSIBLE to lose your salvation if you are truly one of the Predestined Elect?. I know this because I have genuinely tried but I just couldn't stop believing in Jesus. I just couldn't! Mormon theology is just too different to be considered properly Christian. The fact that you believe most people are NOT going to Hell proves that. Truth is that at least 90% of humanity will burn in Hell. Calvin himself preached that Hell is "brimming over with the souls of unsaved babies". Anything heterodox to such belief is well, heresy. I don't believe in that proselytising that missionaries do as one man cannot bring another to Christ. Christ Himself has chosen SOME of us only out of His sheer mercy. If His daddy could flood the entire planet out then surely He could send the majority of humanity to Hell.

So I guess I don't really feel a need to get baptised again for if God still spoke through prophets then He would most certainly speak through ME. Or maybe He does and I am just oblivious to it. Sometimes I don't know why I say stuff but I just feel people NEED to know.

By the way, Tiffany, is Magdalen your TOP SECRET Mormon name given to you in the Temple or something? I thought you had to keep that a secret.
sorryboss
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:27 pm  Reply with quote
Totem Pole Jeff
Totem Pole Jeff

Where i live, there are no door-to-door mormons. It is a happy place, filled with young people smoking cones and bums living on the street drinking metholated spirits. But there are no mormons.

Well, maybe there are, but the bear trap on my front door step seems to keep them away.

One time i was walking around some streets when a bald man in a robe came up to me and asked if i wanted a book. I said "Yes, i would like a book." He handed me a book on "Peace and harmony in YOUR body".

I didnt read it, but i DID get lots of people to sign it. Then i gave it back to him.

I am interested in what you have to say, and i would like to subscribe to your newsletter. In a related side note, i would also like to see you seriously injured in a hang-gliding accident later this week.
BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:18 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Baptism is definitely more than just going into the water and coming out again. It is the cleansing of all original sin and the welcome into the house of God. Also, every sin can be forgiven if the sinner is truly sorry for what they did. A murderer can go to a priest and receive forgiveness if he has repented. Also, it's not Jesus who decides who gets into heaven anyways, that's up to Saint Peter.

Pope John Paul II once said that we know that hell exists, but we are not obliged to believe that anyone is there.

The said 90% of humanity that will burn in hell is probably more realistically sitting on their asses bored out of their minds in purgatory.

Most religious denominations will not baptize a person a second time. Once they have been baptized in one church, they stay that way for life. They can be initiated into another church but baptism is only a once in a lifetime thing. In the Catholic Church the sacrement of confirmation is actually a much bigger deal than baptism, because confirmation is a mature decision to be fully initiated into The Church, to "be sealed with the gift of the Holy Spirit." Baptism, Confirmation, and Holy Orders (when you're ordained a priest) are the times when you are annointed with the Oil of Chrism, which is connected with the Holy Spirit.

There's your Catholic theology for the night...
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:04 pm  Reply with quote
Degrassi School President

I was confirmed before I was even a teenager. The church we went to claimed that ALL THE SACRAMENTS GET DONE REAL EARLY AND FAST NOW, I guess so you can be part of the church before you're old enough to even figure out what's going on and whether or not that's actually something you want.

That said, it was certainly not a mature decision because I wasn't even involved in the making of it, but I don't feel like the confirmation was a big change in my life either way anyhow. I only hold church against my mother because it didn't allow me to sleep in Sundays. The confirmation and everything else I experienced being brought up Catholic is wholly inconsequential to me.

Quote:
I didnt read it, but i DID get lots of people to sign it. Then i gave it back to him.

What, you thought it was a yearbook?
sorryboss
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:53 am  Reply with quote
Totem Pole Jeff
Totem Pole Jeff

FortheLoveofJoe wrote:

What, you thought it was a yearbook?

No, i thought it was a book some creepy old man gave me. But i was bored.

I am interested in what you have to say, and i would like to subscribe to your newsletter. In a related side note, i would also like to see you seriously injured in a hang-gliding accident later this week.
Magdalene
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:25 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

the earliest a child can get baptized in my church is 8, "the age of accountibility," but i think that is still too young. my children wont get baptized unless they want to.
Magdalene
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:44 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

also no, it isnt my temple name as far as i know. I havent been to the temple for those ordinances yet.
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:22 pm  Reply with quote
Degrassi School President

Magdalene wrote:
the earliest a child can get baptized in my church is 8, "the age of accountibility," but i think that is still too young. my children wont get baptized unless they want to.

This might be one of the first belief based things I actually support you on.

I'm not trying to be insulting, I think it's pretty much true. If anything this is SUPPOSED to be a compliment. My compliments just happen to sound sort of like insults.

Distant
BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:26 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

In my church, the bigger deal is confirmation which is done when you're in grade 2 now. I just don't believe in baptizing someone a second time. I think that's extremely disrespectful to other religions. I think that a person can only be baptized once, and if they decide to go to another religion, they can be initiated in however that religion goes about doing things. Just not a second baptism.
Magdalene
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:00 am  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

when you get baptized in my church you take on new vows as part of the baptism, so it wouldnt make sense to not get re-baptized. plus the while line of authority thing comes into play too. mhm mhm grammar.

phen, magdalene is just a name I really like. I havent been to the temple for those ordinances yet.