ListenToMe.net Forums Forum Index
<  Listen To Me  ~  Die Wulkurie (Oceans of Tears in my Eyes)
Phen Lie-All
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:32 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

It is with a heavy heart I must be the forebearer of bad news and I only have myself to blame. Although I do primarily blame the local cinema and their ridiculous schedules!

As many of you may know, the New York Metropolitan Opera House's Live in HD series does in fact find itself a rather global and cosmopolitan audience and for some time now I have enjoyed attending their screened performances at my local cinema. This is only due to the tragic fact that out here on the Frontier, there is very little appreciation for the high arts as many of the facebook-addicted, saloon-bound ruffians prefer to only be excited by the latest Marvel Comics offering and thus there is no proper working opera house anywhere in this wretched unsophisticated Bible town. Thus I have to make due with a mere cinematic screening for my operatic needs.

But no matter, I say, as one must be of a sturdy character to survive the demands of frontier life! But the greatest performance of the legendary Deborah Voigt in the role of Brunhilde was denied to me simply as the length of Die Wulkurie exceeds six hours in length and thus the local cinema was only prepared to screen it for one week thus foiling my carefully planned schedule.

Indeed I feel as something dear to me has been snatched from my heart by the cold, merciless, iron hand of cinema management never to be replaced and I can only weep in pity! I am aware there will be other Brunhilde's but who could equal the performances of my beautiful Deborah?

Oh, Caity dear, how are you at singing in German?

BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:27 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Ah yes...I like the Met HD series too, although I have only actually seen one of them. They are screened at an awkward time for me usually =(

That's pretty unfortunate that they aren't screening Wagner for you, simply because of the length. Wagner's operas are certainly some of the highest in the entire art form. And with Voigt singing it too...

I sing in German quite well, but alas, I am not a Wagnerian soprano and Brunhilde is not in my "fach". I unfortunately will never be able to do any justice to a Wagner aria because I am a high coloratura soprano rather than a dramatic soprano that's needed for those roles. I can do a wicked Queen of the Night though...and probably one day (like ten years from now probably) I will be able to sing a role like Lucia. Oh, do do a mad scene. I get to be all of the psychotic female characters, which is more exciting for me! Twisted Evil
Phen Lie-All
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:30 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

I suppose one should look for the more agile coloratura talents required for Handel's works as I did so ignorantly describe the role as "German" foolishly falling into the stereotype that Wagner somehow represents the entirety of German opera. I consider myself more of a mere fanboy than a connoisseur as I am still unable to properly distinguish between soprano types! It is embarrassing.

Lucia di Lammermoor is one of my favourite roles as it also requires extraordinary acting ability. The one bliss of ignorance is that I still get to enjoy the story aspect of a famous opera as I have still seen few whereas a connoisseur may be bored and only be critical of a singer's performance.

It's like my relationship to pro-wrestling: you've seen pretty much the same thing so many thousands of times before that you only criticise the worker's performance and still moan about how predictable the match ending is. Pro-wrestling is the opera of redneck white trash and I am simply trying to advance myself!

You know, years ago someone once told me I had potential as a bass yet I never bothered furthering that potential.