ListenToMe.net Forums Forum Index
<  Listen To Me  ~  Serious Corner with Lauren
Lauren2
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:47 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

Joe, how many people visit us each month? How many would you say are "regulars", and what are the things that attract more people. New movie reviews, Nes reviews? Just wondering!
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:20 pm  Reply with quote
Degrassi School President

I guess at our best we were nearing 2000 visits a month. Updating apparently makes people happy because we've declined to about 700-800 since I stopped doing that. Last month was one of the worst at 769 but it looks like this month is already maybe gonna do better because it's at 723.

I have no idea what attracts people here. Mostly nothing. The only time I can be sure people were attracted was when you got people arrested and that time Jeff made people think there was a Zelda game out there that's a secret to everybody. People still come to see those articles a decent amount (but those actually only have like 300+ hits on them whereas the main page has 7605 for this month, so it's still not a fantastic indicator of anything, really).

Other than that, it seems like a crapshoot. I really have no idea what makes something "popular" on here from month to month and I don't much concern myself with it because I don't think we've ever reached such heights of popularity that we can knowingly gear ourselves in any specific direction. I just put up whatever we make. I was doing that back in our most popular days and that seemed fine.

I feel I should make it clear that nobody should be banking on the LTM funtrain to choo-choo them to internet fame and glory. I am constantly having existential emo-struggles about the point and need for the site and, quite honestly, see it as little more than something to retain at least some kind of fanbase for the hopeful day when we actually bust out something spec-damn-tacular, like the secret Jeff-Me-Otherguyfromtheinternet project that is a big secret, or my "serious" writing in general. Or maybe One Panel Comics. In any case, my feeling is sort of that LTM is such a massive cesspool of shite at this point that I, if I was taking it seriously, would probably make new websites for all of this. I see LTM, if anything, as little more than a springboard to better things and a place to be creatively expressive without taking anything too seriously.

Please also note that Gringo and I are too stubborn to ever hand the site over to anyone so, at it's worst, it's just going to be a graveyard for old articles. Or it's going to just be entirely about Dr. Sunflower. Because everyone loves him. Everyone.
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

Oh, I didn't answer the regulars question. I've never been able to gauge or even remotely understand who our regulars are or if we even have any. The number of visits kind of indicates that we do, but they're very quiet if they are (the fact that my webmail is now defunct isn't going to help with the lines of communication much either).

The only people I can point to as regulars are those who post in this forum, which is, what, like 6 people at best? Most of whom are involved with the site in some capacity.
Lauren2
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:31 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

You forgot about the time I inspired an armed robbery. Inspiring people to a life of crime is what brings in the big numbers, boys.
Lauren2
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:34 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

Also. The true TV or whatever it was that did the story about it, had a poll to vote for that months dumbest criminals. The ones who I inspired won, and were announced on TV. Although I don't think they mentioned LTM which would have been awesome.
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

Wow, that is cool. Anyway, I didn't forget you inspired armed robbery...the robbery and the arrest kind of go hand-in-hand.

Now stop resting on your laure(n)ls and get someone put on death row. You can't ride the success of that one armed robbery/arrest forever.
Jeff
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:34 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

I agree, armed robberies come and go but homicides are forever. Is there a clip from that true TV episode anywhere?

From what I've seen around this old internet, stuff like top 10,11,50,100,2600 lists always get people riled up. They don't care about the lists itself, they just want to argue about the numbering. In fact, I'm planning on counting down the greatest 50-100 (haven't decided) NES games of forever and always by doing what I do best. Wink It's, uh, gonna take a while.

I have a theory that you can make a GIF with nothing but the word "Zelda" on it and hundreds of people will rush to see it. Not only that but they'll talk about it in Zelda forums and somehow it will turn into an argument about the series time line.

Ah, right, the supersecretsecretproject, there's things to do and things that are done but, several fortnights may pass before much is revealed.

In a way it's kind of nice being part of a website that somebody viewed once and will probably forget. A humbling experience knowing that a random person saw something you wrote/drew/recorded, formed an opinion of it and moved on even if you'll never know what that opinion was.

The only emails I ever get involve ROM requests (still) and an occasional Anime fan spergin' about me hating his cartoons. That doesn't stop me from doing more articles cause I just make stuff for us basically. Well for myself mostly but I'm thinking of everyone else while doing them...sort of. I mean it would be nice to check my inbox and not see messages consisting of "ROMS PLZ" but that's life and I'm not doing this to be popular, I just make articles that I'd like to read.

To echo Broseph, I see the site as a place to practice writing, drawing and such, things that are hobbies for me anyway. I'm sure there's a way to make a profit from it, possibly by putting on a show in the old barn and if Joe and Gringo ever decide to pursue sweet lady Greenback then that's their call, I'm just along for the ride.

Maybe we need a picture of all of us with our arms crossed and looking pissed off about something on the front page, that's what's popular now isn't it? We can all wear TAP OUT shirts for the picture to help bring in UFC fans.
Lauren2
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:28 am  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

The article I am writing now was going to be a "10 movies I would take to a deserted island". If the island had a huge tv, dvd player, AV cables and and some solar panels. And Jeff remember that idea I had. NES games we are glad they never made. OR Should have made. For instance, The Adventures of Urkel, MC Hammer's Dance Dance Revolution, Breakin' II Electric Boogaloo The Game.
Phen Lie-All
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:31 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

I bet I would have inspired a real-life Asian rape case had that "GUIDE2AZNHOS" thing ever been published. Well, a man can hope!

Magdalene
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:30 am  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

I'd just like to point out that when baby Lauren first started talking to us you were ALL mean to him. Now he has brought you glory. He has been upset at your treatment for 10 years, for approximately 10 years ago is when it all began. Apologies are in order.
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

THE GLORY WAS SHORT-LIVED!

SO I HAVE TOTALLY FORGOTTEN ABOUT IT.
Lauren2
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:50 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

Yea. you guys were (are) pretty big dicks. Its weird to think this site has been around that long.
Magdalene
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:56 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

dude, its been around even longer. That's just how old i was when I started talking to some clowns. I'm surprised but delighted joe and gringo havent just let the site go to hell where it deserves.