ListenToMe.net Forums Forum Index
<  Listen To Me  ~  Yeah, yeah, we did it.
USAgent
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:47 am  Reply with quote
Professorman Johnson
Professorman Johnson

I took that way to seriously. But my feelings! How she weeps.

ookook
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:26 am  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

BabyDragon'sMom wrote:
ookook wrote:
My life is a sine wave of epistemic individualistic escapades and codependency-situated deprivations.

You have a very complex soul.

It's terrible. =n=

USAgent wrote:
Wait--stop. All of our forum posts are nothing but one big slump of random dreck that we pool together with the bottom line being that we're all incredibly silly and share something of an 'inside-joke' where we write terrible jokes and abuse the word 'cunty'.

A good percent of the shit we say has no real relevance, so it's all a form of LOL RANDOM. Go back and look at the writing stylings/opinion pieces of Joss/Ross/Lauren and Gringo (who is a nasty) from years ago and compare them to the review/editorials there is now. Small bits of random cursing and inanity, no badly scrawled MSPaint doodled or dialogue blurbs pasted onto photos. It doesn't make me laugh like it used to. Yes, believe it or not, this was a place on the internet where I could come and get a anywhere from a chuckle to where I'm tearing up in the eye. Reason being, none of it was taken seriously.

Dont take these posts with even an ounce of brain particles (all two of them!). Just use 10% from the power of your will to come up with something light to say in response. The End.

Cunties.

Penis.

FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:16 pm  Reply with quote
Degrassi School President

I don't think the majority of the old stuff on LTM is funny either. I don't know if the new stuff is that funny either, but I think almost all the old stuff is shite.

So, that said, I guess if I don't laugh at things you say and you're comparing them to old things on this site that I don't laugh at either, well, there you are, then.

BUT, more importantly, in a forum-type setting, due to the whole (theoretically speaking anyway) community aspect of it all, I personally expect something that in some way responds to or builds upon a previous post and, terribly sorry, but about 80% of the time I have no clue where you're coming from whatsoever, so I just let you be and reply to people who make more sense to me.

However, there are times you've said something I've gotten and I've totally up and loled and those were good times, those were.
USAgent
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:20 pm  Reply with quote
Professorman Johnson
Professorman Johnson

Now I understand. Well, thanks for clearing that up for me. My fragile emotional development needed the attention you just shed upon it.

But, seriously, dude? You don't find any of the past shit you and Gringo and others have written down? I thought the entire point of LTM was to write reviews with excessive scrutiny, nitpicking, and a teenager-mentality of cursewords [variants of cunty fuck poo]. I mean, I must've stolen over a dozen lines from these reviews/articles because everything was really, very humorous and I felt that I couldn't replicate it.[I am not creative]

Dude, I have taken entire paragraphs and [with very little editing] submitted them as college papers. Even from your blog. I can't imagine you not any sense of nostalgia--OR taking enjoyment from the fact that something you created [and Gringo, and the others] are making so many people happy/returning customers.

USAgent
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:21 pm  Reply with quote
Professorman Johnson
Professorman Johnson

ookook wrote:
BabyDragon'sMom wrote:
ookook wrote:
My life is a sine wave of epistemic individualistic escapades and codependency-situated deprivations.

You have a very complex soul.

It's terrible. =n=

USAgent wrote:
Wait--stop. All of our forum posts are nothing but one big slump of random dreck that we pool together with the bottom line being that we're all incredibly silly and share something of an 'inside-joke' where we write terrible jokes and abuse the word 'cunty'.

A good percent of the shit we say has no real relevance, so it's all a form of LOL RANDOM. Go back and look at the writing stylings/opinion pieces of Joss/Ross/Lauren and Gringo (who is a nasty) from years ago and compare them to the review/editorials there is now. Small bits of random cursing and inanity, no badly scrawled MSPaint doodled or dialogue blurbs pasted onto photos. It doesn't make me laugh like it used to. Yes, believe it or not, this was a place on the internet where I could come and get a anywhere from a chuckle to where I'm tearing up in the eye. Reason being, none of it was taken seriously.

Dont take these posts with even an ounce of brain particles (all two of them!). Just use 10% from the power of your will to come up with something light to say in response. The End.

Cunties.

Penis.

Fuck Sheckerz.

BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:38 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Why can't we all just get aloooooooooooooooong

banana

I replied to USAgent's post on the first page, and then realized that there was a whole second page to contend with....so here is my comprehensive reply.

When I first started coming to this site, it was for the entertaining articles...and then I started coming to the forum and pretty much stopped reading any updates on the site. Also, there haven't been many updates. I'm not coming down on anyone, cos it's not like I write anything either...and I really don't care whether there are updates or not. I just come for the forum, and the "community" as we refer to it.

Half the time I don't have anything to say to a thread, so I either randomly comment completely off-topic, or just leave it alone. Usually the latter. I don't think there's ever any particular thread where everyone contributes equally...they are always dominated by a couple of people, and everyone else either shuts up until the next thread is started a month later, or they say something random.

That's how I see the dynamics on this forum....and then Phenom comes on and everyone goes for a loop. But hey. All part of the experience right?

Rolling Eyes
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:03 am  Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, good point, Caity. I often have no idea what Phenom is on about either. Well, I mean, what he says often enough makes some sense, it just comes out of nowhere and is overtly bizarre and offensive. So I guess you aren't the only one I sometimes elect to not respond to, USAgent!!!

Anyway, I will now bitch and moan like a tit, if you'd care to peruse it:

Quote:
You don't find any of the past shit you and Gringo and others have written down?

You meant to say I don't find any of it funny or something like that I assume?! Well, no, I don't hate ALL of it. But, yeah, the majority of it makes me cringe a bit (my own stuff more than others) and if I like something it's almost always just a small thing in the midst of a bunch of stupid noise and cussin'.

Quote:
I thought the entire point of LTM was to write reviews with excessive scrutiny, nitpicking, and a teenager-mentality of cursewords [variants of cunty fuck poo].

I am not personally blaming you for mentioning it or anything, but probably one of the things that has always bugged me the most is that there's been very, very few places I've seen people talk about some kind of "LTM-style," but, whenever I do see it, the general idea seems to be (well, not the scrutiny and nitpicking actually, but, come to think of it, that's still all I do, personally) that to write like you are an LTM literati (lolol) you have to be really inane and also curse all the time. I mean, we (and me especially with the cursing, though Gringo invented "cunty"), brought that on ourselves and I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't even think I REALLY write like that anymore and it bugs me that some of what I consider my worst writing ever is part of some kind of crapola "style." But, I mean, that's also partially just a weird personal thing. I'm bothered the moment people think I have any sort of shtick whatsoever and that's my thing and I do this one thing and that's my thing that I do. I feel BOXED IN, MAN.

Also, that said, any time I write new things for the site (which I haven't in awhile I know) I struggle with (and I kind of always have struggled with) the whole point of it all, because we're clearly not a professional outfit and I question why people would care to hear our opinions about something when they can get more reputable opinions from other places and also whether I'm even being funny anymore or just picking stuff apart like a curmudgeonly college professor. IN OTHER WORDS, I often have no idea what the point of LTM even IS. DO YOU SEE HOW MY SOUL IS TORMENTED???

What are you on about with the submitting things as college papers? I assume that was a joke because I can't imagine what stuff from this site could be applied to a college paper and, also, if you really did, omg, plagiarist!!! I find students plagiarizing all the time in my current job of teaching silly Chinese children silly English, and all I do is type the sentences into Google. Which leads me to believe you'd be found out like THAT. By me anyway.

But, YES CERTAINLY, it's nice to hear people enjoy the things that have come out of here. But I don't generally get to see that people take much enjoyment from it. I get very, very few e-mails and we're generally ignored by the internet at large. So I don't really feel like we have MANY happy/returning customers. We have a few and I actually kind of assumed the majority of you, like Caity, just come on the forum most of the time now and don't even read the filth on the front page. And this makes me feel hollow inside. Crying or Very sad But I'm not calling for you all to wank me off here in the forum. You're fine just the way you are. I think I just would have more nostalgia and more pride in LTM on the whole if I thought more of it was actually decent writing I've done on topics I actually think are pertinent and the majority of it does not fit these categories. And I guess it'd be easier to be happy about it too if we were a runaway internet success, but considering I don't think we're THAT GREAT, I can't imagine why the rest of the internet would either.

Overall, I personally see LTM as something of a distraction and a way to procrastinate so I don't have to actually do any real writing, as well as a way to keep writing in general so I don't forget how to do it altogether. This is not across the board true (thank you for saying you like it and all that and also I'd say that a few things from the blog are some of the better things I've written in my life and I always wonder if I could somehow make LTM more like that, but I'm lazy), but, YES, most of the time I consider it largely unrewarding. BUT, HEY, being a dismal whiny, shit is sort of my thing!!!

I think Jeff likes LTM fine. Gringo is basically MIA. Lauren's feelings on the subject are of little consequence to me. But he's pretty much okay, I guess.
BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:37 am  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

I totally know what you mean, Joe, about scrutinizing your old work. I feel the same way when I go back and read even papers from a year ago. I'm like..."oh my bloody hell....I sound so juvenile!" Or even going as far as looking at forum posts from a long time ago. It's amazing how we develop as writers. On that vein, I actually have to go through and revise two of my old papers to submit for a program change by the end of the semester...as well as write two other ones! This is a great segue into the idea of LTM being an awesome tool for procrastination.

USAgent, try not to generalize and say that the ENTIRE point of LTM is to be blah....obnoxious basically. I don't necessarily think that was the original intent, and certainly not all of the articles have the features you speak of. I think the point is more to just not have a point...and seriously. What's there to even write about these days?

I think it's funny that this thread got transformed into a very deep commentary on the very reason for the existence of LTM.

Cunty. I'm sleepy now and am giving up after completing only two pages of my 10-page analysis paper. Ugh.

(I am trying to think of something to change the subject to....but obviously it won't be followed....so I'll leave it at this)

Joe's Girl
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:16 am  Reply with quote

Oh I am not mad at the USAgent. Like I said, I think he was just voicing something I've heard voiced before and I'm sure a lot of the old stuff came off looking all obnoxious whether I wanted it to or not (and probably sometimes I did). But I do also remember struggling with the fact that I didn't want to be part of a website that was just purely offensive for the sake of it. I struggle quite a lot, as you can see. I don't know what Gringo was thinking back then. Probably something about Murder She Wrote.

I also resent the notion that the idea of LTM is to not have a point. I have never made a point to not make a point. So if LTM has any point it would be to not try to try to not make a point.

Obviously.
BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:26 am  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Obviously!

Let me clarify what I said about the pointy-ness of LTM...what I mean to say is that the point may likely be to not be able to be pigeonholed into any kind of general description.

I didn't think you were mad at USAgent....noone's mad, right? Except maybe at Gringo.....thaaaaat Gringo.... *shakes fist*

I'm joking. Obviously.
Phen Lie-All
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:17 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Hey Joe,

Are you ever going to upload that Listen To Me review of mine? I resent the notion that you think I am offensive. Well, maybe SOME people (mothers) would take offense to that particular review. I tried to NOT be offensive because I figured the majority of our readership is pro-choice and burn effigies of the Pope but maybe I misread what our survey people were passing on to we, the writing department and backbone of the entire empire.

It's like trying to figure out what pro-rasslin' fans really want. I would like to imagine our audience are pro-life, pro-capital punishment, truck driving, racist gun-nuts but with the Internet, who knows!
Phen Lie-All
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:24 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Oh, and Caity, I would dearly love you to explain what is meant by "going for a loop." I am quite perplexed.

I also do not believe I have matured as a writer since my classic "I Am An African..." piece in high school senior year.