ListenToMe.net Forums Forum Index
<  Listen To Me  ~  Dear, JOE(Seph)
Lauren2
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:46 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

I have an idea for an article. I'm going to play and then beat an NES game, but! I want some of the readers to tell me which game to play. The weirder and shitty the better! Can you put the word out? If no one responds then I will just use the recommendations of the forum. And if that fails, I will just hang myself.
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:32 pm  Reply with quote
Degrassi School President

Er, I can do that. But do realize how incredibly unlikely it is you'll get any response whatsoever. Unless it turns out you're like crazy popular and people respond when you ask for input unlike when I do it, in which case I won't let you do it out of jealousy.

Lol, j/k but more likely yeah you won't get shit. I've heard of a number of bad games though. I'll try to think of something suitably shitty so you can pretend to be the Angry Video Game Nerd. You do realize how exceedingly horrible some NES games were, right? And on top of which the difficulty of them tends to be, as a rule, genuinely unfair. And you want to beat one of these things? Did you do something you feel guilty about recently and you're pulling a modern version of the guy from the Scarlet Letter?
Lauren2
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:17 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

IN CASE I get feedback you should update my listentome.net email. Can you change it LaurenNeeff@gmail.com? My another email is completely full of spasm. Have you ever heard of Wall Street Kid?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsJ_tFaEH0k

Its a game where you read newspapers and then invest.
Jeff
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:01 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

Wall Street Kid isn't really a bad game, just a boring one. It's a sim about the stock market, not a whole lot to do there in terms of gameplay. Maybe if they worked in the idea that you can travel to farms and poison the livestock or something to turn the value of porkbellies in your favor, it would be fun but, no, they didn't do anything like that at all.

Here's some bad NES games

Spelunker
Super Pitfall!
Ghostbusters 2
Anything by THQ
Anything by Color Dreams
The Terminator
Cliffhanger
Ghoul School
Almost everything from LJN
Dragon's Lair
Defenders of Dynatron City
Adventures of Dino Riki

Just to name a few off hand. I'd like to think that if there was an NES game based off the movie, House Party, it would be both the greatest and worse game of all time.
Lauren2
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:30 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

So I guess some badass just read the forum and sent me this huge email, so now I just have to choose the game:

Why hello there! I can't believe I'm emailing the mastermind behind the famous Dollar Tree armed robbery. As a long-time LTM fan (mainly just for the Magic Donkey comics, actually) I feel obliged to recommend some games for your NES thingy.

A game I thought was fairly hard was Ghostbusters 2. This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq6WbtlWCwU
The main platforming levels involved playing as a ghostbuster and trying to get to the end of the stage. Jumping, if I remember right, is mostly pointless because you don't go very high, and I don't think there's anything to jump over anyway. You have your gun that can kill small ghosts, but you need one of them traps to suck in the big ones and flying inanimate objects (you only have limited traps, though). What is weird is that whenever you start a level, there is a crawling thing right behind you that slowly follows you across the level. If you try to jump over it, it jumps up and damages you, and also it can't be killed, so you can only retrace your steps so much. Annnnd also if you shoot I think 30 ghostbuster logos you get an extra life.
There's also a few levels where you drive the ghostbuster car around that are neat. Annnnnd later on there's a level I thought was hard where you play as the statue of liberty. I think I may have only beaten the game once or twice.

Oh, and if you want to play something obscure, there's a game called Devil World that was only released in Japan because it had too many religious symbols in it. It is basically like Pac-man. http://media.photobucket.com/image/tamagon%20nes/btlizard/dd_1.jpg
I think the crosses are like the big dots in Pac-man. When you get all the dots, you have to push these holy book type things into the box with the skull on it.

Also there is Mach Rider, it is really hard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxAyjFMmcBk
I played a ROM of it. It is not bad, it actually looks really impressive for the NES, it's just really hard.

A game I liked as a lad was Sesame Street's Countdown. It was actually not a bad game, but maybe you would like it for it's obscurity? Here is some gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrF7b7xBxUs
I think there were only 8 levels. You play as the count, and at the beginning of each level you choose a number from 1-10, and then you have to collect a certain number of them before you reach the end of the level. You can either collect the number itself, a group of that number of floating object, a lightning bolt which acts as a wild card, or play a mini-game by grabbing a balloon. In the first level you only need 3 of the correct number and can take up to 9 wrong numbers without losing, but by the last level I think those amount get reversed. The first few levels are kind of boring, but later you can go to neat levels like the moon, the wild west, and finally the count's castle (which was my favorite).

Annnd there is Darkwing Duck. This game certainly isn't bad, but it can be hard at times, and it MAY be obscure, I dunno. There are several videos on youtube, so maybe not. It is like Megaman, but not as insanely difficult. I am watching a level and remembering how awesome it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mIqr0Q5M6Y There was a jungle level that was kind of hard. And I always got killed by the final boss until I figured out a decent strategy. I remember thinking that the game's ending was kind of funny.

Oh, speaking of Disney, there was a Tailspin game I had. Another game that was pretty good, but had some really difficult parts. I remember a haunted house level that was really hard; there were ghosts that would split up into smaller ghosts and yes, they got annoying. I usually got a game over in that level. Here's a good review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7SfVJdv5Cs&feature=related

There was a Batman game for the NES that was insanely difficult. I actually don't think it's too obscure and may have actually been reviewed by the angry video game nerd. Here's some gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoTG1nR84MU But it is really difficult starting at about the third level where these huge, fast, gargoyle things start showing up. I tried playing it on a ROM once and got up to the last boss, the Joker, and even with the savestates he was just too hard to beat. Hum, I am watching it on youtube and apparently he could summon lightning from the sky for some reason.

Allllso a game I thought was really bad/hard/obscure was Rocky and Bullwinkle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiHNcv9hZ3k
I guess the weird music is from the cartoon and the maybe the weird graphics are staying true to the cartoon. You can switch between Rocky and Bullwinkle at any time. Rocky can ram enemies with his antlers and Bullwinkle could fly short distances, though it was really hard to control him. They could both collect bombs. Boris and Natasha were normal enemies you could come across. If you can beat the third level without savestates you're more awesome at it than I was.

Hum, yes, hum, that is all, have a splendifferic day.
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

I know that guy, he is a nut.

AND HE GOT THIS BACKWARDS:
Quote:
Rocky can ram enemies with his antlers and Bullwinkle could fly short distances
UNFOGIVABUH!!!

If you want to just pick one of his or Jeff's games, go for it. If you still want me to put your e-mail out there for the world wide internet to (probably but maybe not) ignore, lemme know and I'll do it in the next couple of days when I am less lazy than now, but still pretty lazy.
Lauren2
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:02 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

I will just pick one of these.
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

YOU GOT IT, SWEETHAHT
stuffislikerice
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:44 pm  Reply with quote
Steven!
Steven!

hehe. sweethat.

ookook
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:21 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

SWEET HAT, STEVEN!

Lauren2
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:48 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

Who is the guy who wrote the email to me. I was looking at some old stuff and noticed he drew the pictures for your sandwich story.
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:33 pm  Reply with quote

GASP! THE SECRET.

He is just one of my many online boyfriends. I've not met him in real life. He just likes LTM, well Magic Donkey most specifically. He is naught but a MAN.
PK
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:26 pm  Reply with quote
Steven!
Steven!

You probably did this playing and reviewing crappy game thing already, but I'd just like to point out how shitty Crash Test Dummies and the Back to the Future 2 game were for NES.

That is all.
Phen Lie-All
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:35 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

I downloaded a big collection of NES games. Will that help?
Lauren2
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:58 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

I finished it. There is a written one and a shitty video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARPPYJgZ_os

Last edited by Lauren2 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total