PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:34 am  Reply with quote
Degrassi School President

vomitous
USAgent
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:26 am  Reply with quote
Professorman Johnson
Professorman Johnson

Phen Lie-All wrote:
You can still have as much energy at 29 than 19. 19 just looks so... white trash. Or Catholic.

Good god, Phen.

I always loved the angle that Caity existed for the sole fact that her reflection onto you made your posts greater than they really were.

Magdalene
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:33 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

its so stupid because caity is by far the most sophisticated out of all of us. she's clearly not white trash, and she loves being a mom, so why even waste time writing shit about her?
BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:37 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Thanks Magdalene, I really appreciate you stepping up for me!

USAgent...I have no idea what you mean by that post so yeah
stuffislikerice
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:54 pm  Reply with quote
Steven!
Steven!

Phen is awesome.

FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:49 am  Reply with quote

BabyDragon'sMom wrote:
USAgent...I have no idea what you mean by that post so yeah

Oh, it's not just me then!

I have the same issue almost every time he posts! What a fun group!!!

HEY CAITY!!! Is there any chance you can record that "We did it! We did it!" stuff for me!?? You don't have to worry about mixing it or anything. If you just record it in a couple different ways (however you can make your voice sound different, etc.), that'll be fine and shouldn't take long, I wouldn't think. I can worry about mixing it later. WOULD BE LOVERLY THANX!??
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:44 am  Reply with quote

Also, stuffislikerice, omg, seriously, Derrida? What kind of a postmodern cunt are you? Are you in college? What is your major? Pretentiousness?

Also, what does that mean? I took French for a semester, but obviously it didn't work.

I assume it translates to something like "I'm not making any sense, but it sounds really complex, doesn't it?"

That or "This is not whore's text."
BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:28 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Yeah I had fully intended on doing that recording for you....but I don't even have internet now. At the moment I'm at my parents' house but I won't be able to have it by the 20th like you said before. I might have internet at my place by September, hopefully.
stuffislikerice
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:24 pm  Reply with quote
Steven!
Steven!

Actually Joe, it means: I'm a French whore's cunt. Derrida's some good shit.

FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

CAITY!

I have no idea when I'm going to actually get the thing done anymore so it'd still be awesome if you can do it whenever you can. Sooner the betta though, of course.

STUFFISLIKEPRETENSIOUSNESS!

THERE IS NO OUTSIDE-THE-TEXT!? I just looked this up even though it sounded straightforward enough and found, CHARMINGLY ENOUGH, that it doesn't at all mean what it sounds like, apparently. I didn't really get it. Honestly, I've only read like one or two things by Derrida that confused me suitably and I saw his movie. He seemed like a nice enough old man.

I had two modules for my English MA in the first semester. One was Critical Theory and the other was a whole goddamned module on Derrida. And I already had the bloody theory course. I was advised by several people to vacate the Derrida course post haste and am quite glad I did. I ended up writing my dissertation on a bunch of philosophical BS, though, because I'm an idiot. (It's due the day after tomorrow and I have to do about 5,000 words still Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy)

But, yeah, I remember how painful this kind of junk was to read at the beginning of the year in my theory course and am surprised that it actually gets easier. Like I can read junk like this now and get the basic concept quickly because I've started to accept the bullshit I suppose...well, except it looks like I still don't get Derrida. Also Foucault. Who people loooove in English Lit, but philosophers think he's full of shit anyway. I guess basically it's just the French that make no sense to me. Big surprise. Too bad I think their women are so purty.

That said, I still can't see myself voluntarily reading any of this junk outside of a course. Personally I like my philosophy candy coated in some kind of narrative so it goes down more easily.

LTM IS THE NEW CENTER FOR PHILSOPHOHOYO AND CRITICAL THEORY DISCUSSIOSN AND CRAP!!!! COME ONE COME ALL!!!

Joe's Girl
Magdalene
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 am  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

josephina, I just think maybe you should choose a different major. remember how hard it was to get a job with a degree in film? a degree in english wont make it any better. it just occured to me you're getting your master's degree good job good job!!
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:41 am  Reply with quote

Oh, good point, yes. I suppose I should've majored in Business or maybe Law or Architecture, or I could've stabbed myself in the eye with a rusty fork. All good ideas, really.
BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:18 am  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Haha that sounds like me with my Music major.

The way I see it is that with a degree in something like English or Music, especially a Master's, you will always have work because you'll be teaching other people things like English or Music. What goes around comes around and you'll share with others what you enjoy so much. Besides, there are tons of jobs other than teaching out there too!
stuffislikerice
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:00 pm  Reply with quote
Steven!
Steven!

I am an English Lit major. OMG DID YOU GUESS IT.

And I have had a lot of French, couple courses of philosophy (most of which I think is complete shit), and quite a bit of Critical Theory type stuff. It's all bullshit. I just thought that this one quote I got out of some Derrida was particularly good. Your translation, while technically correct, is confusing. I would rather translate it as: There is no outside text.

Makes more sense.

stuffislikerice
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:04 pm  Reply with quote
Steven!
Steven!

Also, about the job bit, I have already resigned myself to the fact that with a degree in English all I can really do is teach. Which is not my bag. Unless I'd be doing it abroad. So next year I'mma just get me an MBA.