ListenToMe.net Forums Forum Index
<  Listen To Me  ~  OPERA-BASED QUESTION!!!!!
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:33 pm  Reply with quote
Degrassi School President

HEY CAITY!!! And anybody else, I guess, but I think Caity's likely to be the most helpful.

There's this song that I'm PRETTY sure is from an opera, I think it's probably Italian (I last heard it at an Italian restaurant so there's that logic) at a guess. I've heard it a few times in CLASSY restaurants and stuff and I've never been able to figure out what it was. HERE'S WHERE YOU COME IN!!

So after the song finished and nobody in my frickin' family knew what it was, I was saying that at this point there must be a website where you can record yourself humming or something and have people chime in on what they think the song you're trying to sing is. So I go on the google right and search for "name that tune" and this is the first shit I get!!!!

http://www.namemytune.com

How right am I!!! VERY.

Now, getting off of the topic of how I know everything, I hummed (BEAUTIFULLY) the piece I remembered of the song and put it on there. I don't think there's any way to directly link to my clip, but you can just go to the genre "Vocal" (there was no "operatic" and I wasn't sure if "classical" or "vocal" was closer to that) and then go to pre-1960s (which I may be totally wrong about).

I think I come up as the very first clip in that section right now. Another good way to figure out which one is mine is that it sounds like some opera shit and also, and I'm just saying this because it seems to be true, it's one of the only recordings that doesn't sound like total shit, I don't mean vocals-wise, I mean just like no microphone scratching, etc. Also! I sang it with "daahs" like "Daaaaaaaah dat dat da daaaaah."

OK THANKS
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:34 pm  Reply with quote

I would also like to point how this post could've been a LOT shorter, but I love to hear myself type. Ahhh it is so nice even now hmmmaahhhneverstopthetypinglaaaaa oh ok I guess I can just open MS Word BYE GUYS aahh so niiiiice mmmm!
BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:16 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

I'm pretty sure you're thinking about "Time to Say Goodbye/Con te partiro". I have sang that song millions of times, including at my graduation ceremonies. It's originally sung as a duet by Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli, but there have been a few remakes since. I can't remember who the composer is for some reason but yeah, that would probably be the song you are thinking about.

It's a classic love song, all in Italian except for sometimes just the one phrase in the chorus (time to say goodbye). Download it, it's a very beautiful song...not really opera but popular classical music. It would be dated around the 80s I think. Basically I'm too lazy to walk downstairs to where I have the sheet music to look at its information.

My post could have been a lot shorter too but I also have a love of my own typing.
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:09 am  Reply with quote

THAT WAS FAST.

Yes, you got it. Awesome. Thanks I will download it with the internet.
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:28 am  Reply with quote

Hey! Check out Donna Summer's unnecessary techno version!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGigtmyMmXw
Magdalene
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:01 am  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

i remember this one time you did that to me and it was cannon in d! I thought it was simple gifts. oh the times we've had.
BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:33 am  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Ahhh she's terrible! I like techno music, that's not my problem with this one...if it was a Sarah Brightman remix, it would probably be cool. This woman does noooooot have a nice voice...and the song really loses a lot when it's not in Italian. Also, her Italian pronounciation when she does use it, is very very bad. Sigh. Now I have to go listen to something nice.

It's too early for this crap, Joe!!
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:18 pm  Reply with quote

Oh yes Canon in D. That wacky Pachebel.

I think the techno is not necessary, but I've heard worse things. Oddly, "I Will Go With You" is much more of a direct translation of "Con te Partiro." Just that phrase I mean, since that means "With you I will leave." I have no idea about the rest of the song.

The way that Andrea Bocelli sings is amusing. He always looks like he needs to be staring at a nondescript point on the floor or something. He never looks right at Sarah Brightman. Also there's one performance of it with him and another dude on Youtube. FRUUUUI-TEH!!!
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

Also, I am planning to quit my job in a few months and people always do a stupid goodbye e-mail and I'm just a dick and quite honestly don't have a ton of good to say. I mean I like most of the people at my job fine but the actual job has not really been like a life-building experience or any bullshit like that, which is what most people seem to say. In other words, I don't feel like writing a particularly long e-mail.

So I'm already planning now to make the e-mail really really brief and say something like "I'll just let Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman explain it (mostly in Italian)" and put a Youtube link to a performance of the song.

EAT THAT, SUCKERS!!!

I will let you know how this goes over when I do it. I imagine most people (at my job as well as here) won't really care but eh whatever.
BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:03 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Hahaha....the way that Andrea Bocelli sings is amusing because he is blind. Hahahaha oh man...yeah...he's blind that's why he can't fix his love gaze on the beautiful Sarah Brightman.

Andrea Bocelli is actually quite hated in the opera world. Sarah Brightman is on the edge. I like Sarah Brightman though...did you know that the Phantom of the Opera was actually written with her in mind? She was married to Andrew Lloyd Webber, so she was the original Christine Daae.

I agree with you that "I will go with you" is a better translation of "con te partiro". But I don't really think that "time to say goodbye" is meant as a translation. I have the translation of the song...I'm not feeling quite so lazy right now so I will go get it.

Okay, so "Time to Say Goodbye (Con te partiro)" was composed by Francesco Sartori. My sheet music doesn't say the date that it was written though. But here's the English literal translation:

When I'm alone,
I dream of the horizon
And words fail me.
There is no light
In a room where there is no sun.
And there is no sun if you're not here
With me, with me.
From every window
Unfurl my heart,
The heart that you have won.
Into me you've poured the light,
The light that you've found
By the side of the road.

Time to say goodbye.
Places that I've never seen
Or experienced with you,
Now I shall.
I'll sail with you upon ships across the seas,
Seas that exist no more.
It's time to say goodbye.

When you're far away,
I dream of the horizon
And words fail me.
And of course, I know that you're with me,
With me.
You, my moon, you are with me.
My sun, you're here with me.

Time to say goodbye.
Places that I've never seen
...etc.

Yeah, I sang that song to my grad class...not entirely appropriate but the only thing that was in English was time to say goodbye...so that was fitting enough. A small town in Northeastern Canada really has no idea what the Italian could mean...nor would 95% of them know that it was a love song. It's fun to confuse the masses.

If you can find a youtube of just Sarah Brightman singing it, it would be better. Andrea Bocelli has a crappy voice and kind of ruins the song for me. He's just a weiner.
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:51 pm  Reply with quote

Oh he's blind! That card!! He pulled a fast one on me. Pulled the wool over my eyes you might say!!

I sort of like when they sing together at the end part but I will look for the Sarah-only version too.

Also yes I assume they knew they weren't translating the title and just made it something else basically. I just sort of wondered why they did it that way. Time to say goodbye sounds a lot more depressing although the rest of the words stay the same so I guess it's overall the same basic message.
sorryboss
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:12 am  Reply with quote
Totem Pole Jeff
Totem Pole Jeff

caity wrote:
I'm pretty sure you're thinking about "Time to Say Goodbye/Con te partiro". I have sang that song millions of times, including at my graduation ceremonies. It's originally sung as a duet by Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli, but there have been a few remakes since. I can't remember who the composer is for some reason but yeah, that would probably be the song you are thinking about.

It's a classic love song, all in Italian except for sometimes just the one phrase in the chorus (time to say goodbye). Download it, it's a very beautiful song...not really opera but popular classical music. It would be dated around the 80s I think. Basically I'm too lazy to walk downstairs to where I have the sheet music to look at its information.

My post could have been a lot shorter too but I also have a love of my own typing.

Wow your good. Ok round two: Anna domino. Do you know who/what she is, and where to find her awesomesauce songs? THE INTERNET HAS FAILED ME SO FAR.

I am interested in what you have to say, and i would like to subscribe to your newsletter. In a related side note, i would also like to see you seriously injured in a hang-gliding accident later this week.
BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:37 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Umm...I'm not really sure but I put her into Google and it came up with an indie-rock singer/songwriter. I don't know if that's the person you're thinking of?

That name isn't familiar to me in any classical or operatic music but then again, I don't know everyone.

If that is the one you were thinking about, that's an unfair question to me. I'm not Jeeves. I just know about my genre, not crazy Tokyo army child music.
Phen Lie-All
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:56 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

I really liked those Phantom of the Opera techno remixes. Phantom of the Opera was my introduction to pop-opera when I was but seven and I have been a fan of Sarah Brightman's ever since. I always just knew her as "Christine" though. Still, if we're talking about all this Italian and classical stuff I'd rather just eat pasta and that's it. I have never been into that "high culture" stuff.

What makes it HIGH culture anyway? Why is some relation to Athens or the Roman Empire considered some pre-requesite for greatness? Personally, I far prefer Native American chanting or Mongolian throat singing to that opera stuff.
BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:08 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Phen said:
Quote:
What makes it HIGH culture anyway? Why is some relation to Athens or the Roman Empire considered some pre-requesite for greatness? Personally, I far prefer Native American chanting or Mongolian throat singing to that opera stuff.

Opera is only considered high culture within the western culture as we know it. Western music is just something that has grown to be the most common of the many music cultures, and if you have been brought up around Western music, it is much easier to appreciate Western styles.

I took an Introduction to Ethnomusicology course this year, and really learned a lot. Western music is not considered the only beautiful music, nor does it any longer pretend to be dominant. Of course, in Europe it is the dominant musical form because of the extensive history surrounding it. The first opera, by the way, was written in 1597 but many steps were taken to evolve to that stage. Western music began in Ancient Greece and Rome...although it has been influenced by so much since then.

Anyways, every different music culture is considered beautiful. The (to the Western ear) harsh "throat singing" of the Bosnian ganga singing groups is incredibly difficult to listen to. However, it is a beautiful form of expression to those people. African music was influenced by historical Western music and has in turn influenced modern Western music. The music of South America has mostly been influenced by Spain (Western music) and African music. Indian music holds roots from both East Asia and England (during the British domain). We didn't get a chance to study Native American music but I'm sure it has also been influenced greatly.

There really is no "pre-requisite for greatness" in music. It depends on where and how you have been brought up. If you prefer the more ethnic tribes, then good. It is all beautiful.

Anyways, just trying to justify my art.