ListenToMe.net Forums Forum Index
<  Listen To Me  ~  New Monkey Island Games
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:15 pm  Reply with quote
Degrassi School President

Hey Phenom and...er...Pirateking who doesn't post here anymore.

A remake of the original MI and some new MI games from TellTale are coming. (You can look on Google or the old standby sites) The graphics on both are pretty questionable and everything I've played from TellTale has pretty much just been "okay." Also, LeChuck sounds weird and has a face that makes me think of a spider for some reason, but, whatever, I'll play it. I've realized there's really only certain aspects of the first three Monkey Islands that I love and beyond that I'm not as head-over-heels for the series as I once convinced myself I was, so I don't have particularly high expectations to have crushed.

EVERYONE ELSE:

AS YOU WERE.
Jeff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:45 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

I got over the Telltale designs pretty quick but the MI 1 remake Guybrush is just flatout ugly, maybe it's the hair or the forehead, it can't be that soul-stealing dead stare though, he's always had that. LeChuck does sound weird, guess there wasn't enough money in the budget to hire back Earl Boen, too bad, I thought he was great in Curse.

I've already got my copy pre-ordered, not because I'm dying to play the games or anything, I just want that free Steve Purcell DVD sleave they're offering. Yes, I buy things for the free trivial shit that comes with them.
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

Oh, shit, I somehow managed to forget you're in the dorky MI brigade, Jeff. I apologize for the grotesque oversight.

Yeah, I'm going to pre-order it too. I've got a sentimental attachment to those nutty ol' adventure games so I guess I want the only-available-once-forever pre-order crap, even though I'm totally going to look at it like once and then put it somewhere to never gaze upon it again.

Also, I just read some more stuff about it at AdventureGamers and it sounds like, despite the episodic nonsense, they're going to make an effort to make it a full, continuing adventure, they aren't going to reuse locations toooo much and you'll actually have the ability to combine items like in a REAL adventure game, so I'm a bit more jonesed for it now than I was. Plus it's out like next friggin' month, so it's actually kinda worth it to start anticipating it now.

Another thing I've considered is that if the game t'weren't so durn ugly I probably wouldn't have the system capabilities to play it anyway, so huzzah.

And yes, remake Guybrush has a massive forehead and bizarre hair that seems to have been pasted atop his cranium. Another thing is that there's barely any video of actual animation in the game, but when he walks, it looks to me like he glides a little bit between steps, making it look a bit like a cheap flash game. Also, they're redoing all the music for some reason even though they orchestrated it all quite some time ago and, from what I've heard so far, the old orchestrated versions sounded better.

But obviously I'll buy the remake too. I can always just play the original if I hate it too much.
Jeff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:04 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

My first experience with the original game was playing the Sega CD version with the rerecorded music, I popped the disc into my CD player earlier and it still sounds good. No real point in redoing something that's still decent outside of maybe cleaning it up a bit.

The video on the remakes website shows that it's more or less a fancy coat of paint over the original, which is why you're able to switch back to the classic one easily. I'd chalk up the sliding walk due to them making the new models larger than the originals so 1 walk cycle of remake Guybrush is really 2 walk cycles of the classic one or something.

I'd be willing to pay about 10 bucks for the Special Edition, nothing more. The added stuff like full voices overs is cool and all but it's still the same game I played all the way back in the past.

I read the AdventureGamers preview earlier as well, like where they're going with it, seems they're ready to expand from the safe design they had for their other games. I just hope Stan shows up in at least 2 episodes, always hated his use in Escape, like he was just there cause they wanted another character. Hell, if I remember right, you didn't even have to talk to him to solve the puzzle chain he was part of.

I can't believe none of the MI games have been reviewed on this site. Seems like something should be done about that.
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:23 pm  Reply with quote

I was going to say, considering this website is birthed from Monkey Island in a manner of speaking, there should be some kind of runthrough of the games.

THING IS, I don't really want to play the first 3 (I'll play EMI because I only played it once and barely even remember it, though I'm rather sure I don't care for it) but I know the first three games so damn well that I'm, silly as this sounds, trying to not touch them for years so that I can maybe go back some day when my brain is atrophying and actually find them challenging. Because my problem is that, one, when I was a lad, I played less than I did cheat my way through all the games I consider my favorites now and, seriously, I played those so many times that they're like ingrained within me. I've tried playing some older games and even when I've forgotten my ultimate goal in an area, my HAND still like KNOWS where to GO and WHAT TO DO NEXT.

It's disturbing and dorky beyond belief. But, I dunno, I could still write something based on memory and everyone else can write stuff too. Possibly we could each take a game and I'll take EMI. I dunno.

But, yeah, I'd try to arrange something. Perchance get Gringo involved. AND PHENOM! HI PHENOM!!!!

And I figured maybe we could do something ridiculous like ALL write separate opinions on each episode of the new one and the remake, if we all happen to have access to those.

Oh and in the videos of the remake now I can hear that the original music, the one that used instruments anyway, is in there as well when you press the button to go back to the old version so it's all good in the hood...although I already own it so....

The new music isn't terrible either, but there's a huge reliance on FLUTES for some reason...
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:58 pm  Reply with quote

Oh and sort of hilariously, Earl Boen IS doing LeChuck for the remake. Looks like LEC took him and TellTale got left with a poor imitation. The difference is really striking though. In the videos of the remake with LeChuck in them, he's just so much more awesome.
Jeff
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:24 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

Yeah, I noticed that too. Maybe if the first couple episodes of Tales sells well enough, they'll be able to get Boen on board for the rest. I have no idea how long it takes the people at Telltale to make their games but they switched Max's voice actor during the first couple episodes of Season 1.

I'm a bit confused about LeChuck in the remake, is he still a ghost or a skeleton pirate now? I prefer his classic form over the remake one but I guess the change was done to put him in step with the rest of his crew and the small scene at the end. If the sales are strong enough (it is on the 360 after all, PC side will be solid), they might as well update the second one too so the whole series has voice acting if nothing else.

Personally, I've always prefered the Maniac Mansion series over Monkey Island with DotT being the funniest damn game ever made, to me anyway. If episodic installments are the future of the genre in regards to the LEC IP's, then I can't think of a series better suited for it.
PK
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:05 pm  Reply with quote
Steven!
Steven!

The Telltale graphics just look like total shit to me thusfar from what I've seen. I'll play it, but it better have better humor and storyline fun than EMI or MI is dead to me. LeChuck looks the worst of any pics I've seen. And I can't be bothered to preorder it, I don't care about any of the extras.

The MI remake doesn't look too bad except those cinematic closeups Guybrush's hair looks uber 80's poofy full-of-hairspray ugly. I'm looking forward to hearing characters with voices, but I'm thinking they'll have been cheap on getting voices besides Dom.
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:49 pm  Reply with quote

REGARDING THE REVIEWING OF SHIT...

I just reinstalled Escape from Monkey Island since I can barely remember anything about it and I intend to play it through. Jeff and...PHENOM!!?? Do you guys want to do anything before the release of the new games? Simple reviews (I can do EMI) are fine, but I'm all earz for anything even mildly more creative if you think you can come up with sumptin' widdout endangerin' ya brainboxez!

I will also run all this by the Gringo since I don't know if he even looks up in here.
Jeff
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:20 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

Yeah I can probably think of something to do, something people can look at and say "Hey...how about that."
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:24 pm  Reply with quote

WOW, setting some lofty goals for ourself, are we?!
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

HEY I WAS JUST THINKING.

Unless there's a better idea, how about we just do a Monkey Island Retrospecticus and all write small pieces on our recollections of each game in the series? I guess they'd essentially be small reviews, but since we all have our histories with the games and they're rather old at this point, you can take it in any direction you like, maybe touching on stuff like how the first game let you escape to a magical land where your papa didn't use the belt and such.

Also, I say small reviews, but I know I'm a wordy bastard and will probably feel like writing a good amount so I wouldn't limit you fellows much either. I'd say something like 6 paragraphs for each game should be the max for all of us. It's fine if it comes out massive, it can always be split into parts. Hopefully, we won't end up repeating one another too much, but, then again, I don't really care.

We could also finish it up like sportscasters or political analysts and talk about what we hope for/expect from the new games unless that seems too retarded. (For the remake, everyone could just touch upon this topic briefly in their write-up of the first game.) I imagine we'd wanna do something similar for the new games when they're out, but maybe a review from every single one of us (I guess that would be four people (Jeff, Me, Phenom, Gringo) if we can/want to actually all muster this up in a timely fashion) for every single episode would be a little ridiculous. Maybe we can all take different episodes and then do an overall review of the whole thing once it's finished.

As for the remake once it's out...uh...I dunno...

ANYHOO, I'd say just get started on it as soon as you can (I'm mostly directing this to you, Jeff, but, Phenom, if you actually look at this, you too) and feel free to send me your piece on each game separately because, like I said, maybe I'll split it all up anyway. And, yeah, again, feel free to do just about anything as in, Jeff, you can still make fancy pictures for your part as you are our resident fancy pictureist.

AND SPEAKING OF PICTURES, if you have any pictures you want specifically from the game to illustrate a point or something, it'd be lovely if you found them yourselves and sent them along with your write-up, or at least sent me a link. But if you're too lazy, tell me what you damn want and I'll try to damn find it.

LASTLY IF ANYBODY HAS COOLER IDEA(S) TELL ME BECAUSE I'M TOTALLY WILLING TO CHUCK ALL THIS SHIT OUT AND DO SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

Oh and because I didn't write enough I just want to STRESS that I would personally like to avoid straight-ahead reviews. Like I said, do what you want. Mine's probably going to be like how the game made me so happy as a lad and, in retrospect, some of it is still awesome but some of my apprecation probably had much to do with how I was a dumb little child and stuff.

I guess that still makes it a review but...um...whatever get off my back.

Also, other than EMI, I'm personally not going back to play the older games. But if you are a dedicated sort, be my guest!!!
Jeff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:33 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

I refuse to set the bar any higher than where I already have it because I know that Graboids can fly once they burst from their cacoon leaving neither land nor air safe for travel.

As for the topic, yeah, wasn't thinking of doing a straight review, seems kind of pointless since the games are so well known. Still tossing around ideas with myself and the walls, the Retrospectaculon sounds good though, that'd be easy enough to do.

I'll just load up Word and start typing randomly, seems to be how I start everything nowadays. Fixed!
Phen Lie-All
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:34 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Fine, I'll do it! I remember coming up with this idea with Gringo in 2001. I guess I could do MI2 since it has the most emotional meaning for me but anything is fine.

You know, I bet people like Caity and ricer have never even HEARD of Monkey Island yet this site would not exist without the series. Appreciation of George Lucas conversation yet again.