ListenToMe.net Forums Forum Index
<  Listen To Me  ~  Coraline
USAgent
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:23 pm  Reply with quote
Professorman Johnson
Professorman Johnson

A subpar mix of CG and stop-frame resulting in choppy and low quality animation, a useless main character with no personal growth what-so-ever, and I found the story to be quite boring. It's not a bad movie--but it definitely doesn't deserve all the praise I see from some people.

All right, I'm not being fair.

I quite liked the animation, even if it was a bit choppy at times. It had a unique and impressive So unique that everyone thinks it was done by someone else who has nothing to do with it. Aka it's a Burton clone, it's not unique at all.

HOWEVER, the people behind this nonsensery probably think that because the commercial says "FROM THE DIRECTOR OF THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS" and most people associate that movie with Tim Burton since, well, his name is in the title. If you actually pay attention to it, it doesn't look like Tim Burton's work very much, unless in your head all stop motion is now associated with him somehow.

That was one of the most over-hyped, terribly-written and generally stupid films I've ever seen. From beginning to end the worst kind of generic tripe you could imagine.

FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:27 pm  Reply with quote
Degrassi School President

I don't think I hated it as much as you, but I definitely went away from it realizing I wouldn't even bother to tell people to go see it. I guess it's fine if you've really got nothing else to do but I was pretty shocked at how thoroughly unspectacular it was.

The plot was the biggest problem, yeah. It was boring. No real conflict shows up until wayyy too late and then it's kind of just like "UH YEAH ACTUALLY THINGS ARE BAD" and then the ending part comes out of nowhere like some video game quest. I guess it looked pretty enough, but I kept wondering if it was just me who thought there was a bunch of weird choppy, slow-down shit with the animation. Guess not!

I didn't hate it, but it really was thoroughly forgettable. Plus, the art and the previews seemed cool and weird enough that it all just looked so much more promising. Not to mention I saw it in 3D and 3D is like that too; it's so rare (or it used to be and now it's going to be in like EVERY MOVIE EVER) that you're like "Oh awesome 3D, this will be great!" but it also ends up being just eh. Once in awhile something is all cool and IN YOUR FACE but mostly you're just watching a regular movie that's looks a bit poppy-outty. Not worth it.

Oh, and I see absolutely no reason children would enjoy this. It was rarely ever fun, it was almost always just creepy and pretty negative.

I didn't like The Nightmare Before Christmas either.

Pixar's new movie Up! seems like it's going to be pretty darn ace, though.

Also, I stand by this and if you think I'm kidding, I'm, well, I'm not. The best new movie I've seen lately is Paul Blart: Mall Cop. No, seriously. And I've seen a large number of the Oscar-nominated films too.

I mean, look:

fatty = funny
segway = funny
fatty + segway....

YOU DO DA MATH.
stuffislikerice
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:16 pm  Reply with quote
Steven!
Steven!

Children like it because they liked the book it is based on! However, the book is also creepy and negative. My friend is a nanny and some kids she nannied last year were obsessed with the book... she said she couldn't understand why... it was just a creepy kids book (she wasn't diggin the button-eyes).

FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:29 pm  Reply with quote

Oh it's a book too? Harumph. What is the moral of the book? Do not go into secret portals where things seem perfect because eventually you will have to take out your eyes and sew buttons in there?

Anyway,you want to see a better children's book adaptation? Doggy Poo. If you happen to have a Netflix account with the instant watchin' stuff, you can watch it RIGHT NOW. It's like a kiddy version of Waiting for Godot.
ookook
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:52 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

The book is a kid's book. It's written as a kid's book, and was directed towards young readers. The reading level is simple, and for kids. You guys aren't kids, (I think,) or die-hard fans obsessive with dark and creepy things like that, and therefore, you guys didn't like it. Joe's Girl

I liked it for what it was: A creepy dark movie directed towards the younger generation who like the concept of imagination and the things you can do with it, and who don't like thinking about how much reality's a bitch.
Then again, I also liked Repo! The Genetic Opera. =P

The kids like it because it exercises the growing children's creativity, unless they're annoying dolts who persuade their parents to buy them violent video games when they're four or five, or spend most of their time watching TV and having their imagination crushed by regurgitation and repetition, and bad grammar. Ew.

That's also why I like it. It's a fantasmical fish hook from the sea of troubles, so to speak. Sure, it's simple, and I prefer Neil Gaiman's other work, particularly Neverwhere (which is written not for kids, but rather adults, or young adults), but I still enjoyed it. There's no actual plot 'cause it doesn't necessarily have to have a plot. As for a moral, you got me on that one...

Maybe... Don't... be afraid... to open new doors? If you're being ignored and you're bored, go do something to entertain yourself? Be creative? I dunno. Stories don't necessarily need morals, either. Morals are for the readers/viewers to choose to form an opinion of.

And the 3D crap is total bullshit. Screw watching 3D versions of something already filmed in 3D, and all you get out of it is an annoying view of the movie and a pain in your eyes.

FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

I COMPLETELY FUCKING DISAGREE, ASSHOLE.

The idea that a wide-release feature film is geared specifically towards one group, while certainly a common thing, is a bit offensive because they expect lots of us to spend our money seeing these things, so there should be something for us all to enjoy, unless they're just counting on that one specific group to bring in the cash, then that's fine, I don't have to watch it.

However, kids' movies always bring adults to the theaters too, because someone's gotta corral the little urchins. And good kids' movies remember this and are able to entertain both kids and adults simultaneously. Take, for example, every damn thing Pixar's done as of late.

Plus, the fact that you're not a kid (I think) and enjoyed the movie pokes a hole in your argument. Although maybe you're a die-hard fan for creepy things. I like creepy things. I like a lot of Tim Burton. This is, like USAgent said, basically a Tim Burton facsimile. Ho-hum.

Plus, there's this, which pokes a hole in every argument you've ever made and may ever make in the future:

Quote:
Then again, I also liked Repo! The Genetic Opera. =P

I'll be honest, I haven't seen it. I'm not going to.

Since I don't live in Bosnia this is the only thing I can spend time getting really indignant over (aside from everything else I get indignant over, which is everything): I believe that people shouldn't be defending movies with problems because the main people who make the movies get a lot of money for doing jobs a lot of us wish we had so they should be trying their damndest and not putting out sub-par things. They SHOULD, in my opinion, be trying for masterpieces EVERY TIME. YES. Ok, yes, maybe they THOUGHT Coraline was a masterpiece, but I'm more saying that there should be no "I liked it for what it was." It was a movie. It should've been entertaining. If you have to add qualifiers to why you liked it, it could've been better.

THAT'S ALL. JEEZ. STOP BEING WRONG ALL THE TIME, OKAY? THANKS.

Oh, but yeah, there doesn't have to be a moral. I just tend to look for one in kids' movies. There does have to be good movie though and there wasn't.

And the 3D wasn't TOTAL bullshit, because they clearly made some parts deliberately with 3D in mind and that stuff looked cool, but, yeah, it wasn't enough to be worth it.
ookook
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:31 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

XD
I just don't like one-sided arguments, even if I'm wrong about what I'm defending.

I do like just how not-living-in-Bosnia you are.

And if you have a problem with facsimiles, why not bring up those terribly distasteful Brazilian rip-offs of Pixar movies, such as:
Little Bee
Ratatoing
Little Cars
The Little Panda Fighter
And more!

After having to see those, Coraline is like a gold mine.
And that makes Pixar movies God.

Last edited by ookook on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:43 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jeff
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:33 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

This needs to be settled once and for all, TO THE THUNDERDOME both of you. According to 2pac's California Love video, it resides in Oakland so dress for warm weather and sporadic BBQ parties.
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:25 pm  Reply with quote

HMM HM MHMMMHMHM. I might argue (but this is kind of bullshit probably) that seeing totally awful movies instead of just sub-par ones is generally more rewarding overall because it tends to be a fun experience when you watch it with friends and also it lets you see how completely not to do a movie. Bottom line is that I'm always right.

I like those rip-offs because they lift the basic initial concept from whatever they're stealing from but then they go off in completely different directions. Considering they basically come up with their own totally new plots, it makes you wonder why they bother to rip-off known films at all. Actually, I guess it's just that the familiarity to the popular stuff makes it more likely people will buy it based on that to shut their kids up. But, yeah, that's still funny to me. Also, almost everything is named "The Little _______" except Ratatoing, which isn't even a goddamned word.

I hate California Love. It is a terrible song that my roommate in my Freshman year of college played all the fucking time. Sheckerz
stuffislikerice
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:37 pm  Reply with quote
Steven!
Steven!

I'm obsessive!!! And Cali Love is awesome. Just kidding, not even sure what that song sounds like, maybe I will find out. No, that's a lie. Who else is drinking whiskey.

USAgent
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:41 am  Reply with quote
Professorman Johnson
Professorman Johnson

I'm expressing an opinion that hasn't already been expressed, in this thread

FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

You won't live to regret this, USAgent. Well, maybe you'll live for a little while to regret it, but it won't be long until you won't live, okay? Drop me a line and we'll work out a good day for both of us.

Also, it looks as though Stuff is a real girl now. I am sorry to see the mystery depart from our forum. She also looks German. Definitely Aryan anyway.
ookook
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:48 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

It's hard to tell her exact eye colour, though...

USAgent
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:35 pm  Reply with quote
Professorman Johnson
Professorman Johnson

FortheLoveofJoe wrote:
You won't live to regret this, USAgent. Well, maybe you'll live for a little while to regret it, but it won't be long until you won't live, okay? Drop me a line and we'll work out a good day for both of us.

I only like what other people approve of ? unless they're the wrong kind of people.

stuffislikerice
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:22 pm  Reply with quote
Steven!
Steven!

I agree. I am much less exciting now.