ListenToMe.net Forums Forum Index
<  Listen To Me  ~  Legalities of marrying a first cousin
Phen Lie-All
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:06 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

This is addressed to anyone on this forum who has been a practicing attorney, preferably Attorney General or served on the Supreme Court. I trust this includes at least 11 regular forum members. This thread is not intended for mere casuyal students of law or laymen as it is a highly serious legal matter.

I am enquiring as to the legalities of marrying one's first cousin. I am curious as to what sort of formalities are required and in which counties, provinces, states or countries it might be legal in. Has this been outrightly banned in any constitution or can previous court rulings still be challenged and/or over-ruled? This only applies to a first cousin on the materal side of the family as I understand law may differ in some cases should said cousin be on the maternal side. Must other family members approve or do the laws of any major or minor religion over-rule any secular court ruling?

Please understand that this is a completely hypothetical situation as naturally I have no interest in marrying my 17 year old, blonde-haired cousin who has quite an impressive figure and is quite busty. I have provided such information on her only for further legal advice in a hypothetical situation.

I am also quite interested in the ill-effects of possible inbreeding simply as an academic curiosity. Thank you.
Magdalene
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:11 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

whoa I can sign in again. Well Phenom I don't fit any of your requirements, but I also dont not fit your examples of who wont do. I'm a secretary for paralegals, so let me give you some legal advice. My husband said in Japan its legal to marry your first cousin, and it also is legal in Stockbridge, MI.
Phen Lie-All
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:34 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Er, ok, that's great. What about Massachussetts? I bet gay marriage is legal there but not marrying a first cousin. It's insane. I'm bored of this topic already.

By the way, Tiffany, I am going to be a missionary but not a Mormon missionary. You Mormon missionaries are pussies only visiting civilised people in their homes. I am going to see people who quite literally have never heard the name "Jesus Christ" or have never heard of electricity. Or soap. They do know about soccer though.
Magdalene
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:12 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

If you're talking about Brazil we have missionaries there all the time so thx newayz.
Phen Lie-All
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:43 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

I was talking about Mozambique. It's like an African Brazil. I enjoyed it there and I met a very nice German girl. Now I don't have to marry my first cousin anymore!
Magdalene
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:49 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

you call that couple of weeks a mission? haha lolsies
Magdalene
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:51 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

we have a mission in mozambique also. but its for two years not a namby pamby couple of days.
stuffislikerice
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:21 am  Reply with quote
Steven!
Steven!

actually the percentage of birth defects associated with a child produced by first-cousin parents is remarkably low. on par with defects assumed in a child conceived by a 40 year old woman. also... i read that such a marriage is only banned in 31 states. odd, as i thought the ban was much more widespread.

however, you'd have to do some legal work to marry a 17-yr-old, any way O_o

Phen Lie-All
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:09 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

OHMYGOODNESS STUFFISLIKERICE!!! IT IS SO GOOD TO HAVE YOU BACK! LORD KNOWS I MISSED YOU. Very Happy

Now then, Magdalene. What you call a "mission" is simply hanging around a church for two years speaking to people in their homes about a lot of bad ficition which any SANE person doesn't really care about. I know this from Sister Bush who just couldn't take a hint when I tried to point about the obvious flaws in the Book of Mormon and how the Native Americans could not possibly be Israelites. Sadly, she just got offended and I have not seen her in over a year. I hope she is doing alright.

Now then. True it was a short-term mission but no one in their right mind would want to stay in that hell for any more than two weeks. Trust me. The most important thing for me was just getting to know a wonderful German girl who is not a Mormon. Oh, and experiecning the TRUE LIVING GOD, something which Mormons will never be able to do.

Now then. I think my cousin is 18 now so it's all good. She is dating some stupid Russian jerk and I must save her!

Now then. It is good to have stuffislikerice back again. How many biscuits can you eat?
Magdalene
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:25 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

I used to think you couldnt really believe the things you said until i met some people who reiterated the exact some ideas and philosophies you do, all with a straight face. I know i'm just stating the obvious, but I don't care to know a god who encourages people to behave the way you do. If I am more kind and loving than this god, he isnt really that great now is he? He also appears to be small minded and simple. I need to look up to someone if I'm going to dedicate my life to following them, therefore I need to respect them. I do not respect you or people who are as judgemental as you. My church's symbol is it's members. We represent our church, so if your church and your god are represented by his members, he has little to recommend him. If you really think you and only people who think the exact specific thing that you do are the only ones who deserve a heavenly reward, I feel sorry for you. You're missing a lot in life, and you are not following Christ's example. I am sure you will reply with something rude, but after reading the things you have to say and how you treat caity and i, I just feel sorry for you. I wish you were able to release your hate and anger, stop trying to judge other people and blame them for your problems. I wish you could do this and maybe some day you will be able to. Until then I dont feel you have very much to offer even a community of people as young and without direction as many of the people here.
stuffislikerice
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:33 pm  Reply with quote
Steven!
Steven!

Mag, I must admit I only read like the first 2 sentences of your post but it was enough for me to wonder - how many gods do you believe there are? You get to pick one?! If Phen already behaves the way he does... but you don't care to believe in a god that would encourage him in his Phen-ness... but he hasn't been struck down dead by lightening yet... hmmm. So you choose to believe in... the other god... the one that wants to smite/has already in an alternate universe smote Phen? WHAT?

stuffislikerice
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:34 pm  Reply with quote
Steven!
Steven!

Also, I got heaven right now, baby. I'm not waiting til I die to have a good time.

FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:09 am  Reply with quote
Degrassi School President

Yeah, also, nice job lumping us all into a blanket group of "young people with no direction" too, by the way.

I have a goddamned direction, thank you very much. Straight down!!!

Plus, if you take into account the fact that I intend to be dead next year, it's sort of like I'm really old.
Magdalene
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:54 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

oh joe =( not that I know you very well these days but you DO seem without direction. please dont die next year. I take it back, i will be your friend.

Just because I believe something doesnt mean everyone else is wrong. It just means I can understand god best through a large part of Mormon theology. I'm not so arrogant as to think in my 24 years of life I know everything about the unseen and divine forces. I dont think anyone should smite phen, I just have a hard time reading the mean things he feels justified saying because of his religion. Sometimes people in my church say judgemental things about catholics and homosexuals, and I dont stand for that either.
stuffislikerice
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:02 pm  Reply with quote
Steven!
Steven!

You killed this thread with your serious.