ListenToMe.net Forums Forum Index
<  Listen To Me  ~  A Montreal controversy
BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:38 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

So apparently on the radio this morning there was a story about some woman who is pressing charges against a gay bar in Montreal. Here's the story as far as I know.

So this woman was meeting her father at his place of work at the end of the day and he just happens to work in or just outside of the gay district in Montreal. So they had about half an hour to burn at about 6:00 and they decided to just hop into one of the bars for a glass of beer, knowing full well that it was a gay bar but obviously not being freaked out about it. So they sat on the patio just outside of the bar and were about to order a beer when one of the people who works at the bar came up to them and told them that women are not allowed at this bar and they would have to leave. So she's pressing charges based on the line in the constitution that states that one cannot discrimminate based on gender or sexuality, the very line that homosexuals have fought for.

Seems funny to me that they can turn around and break their own rules. I think that she will do well in the lawsuit, because clearly they are being discrimminatory. Obviously if they don't serve women they should have a sign outside of their bar stating as such...but wait that would be illegal, would it not? I think all the power to her. They just wanted a late afternoon beer to kill the time and they knew and weren't creeped out by the fact that it was a gay bar. They are definitely the non-discrimmitory people in this situation.

Kind of an interesting story to say the least. What are your thoughts?
USAgent
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:43 am  Reply with quote
Professorman Johnson
Professorman Johnson

I'm going to admit I have an avid distaste for most elite homosexuals. It's as though they're purposefully trying to make the whole preference look bad. Nice one, sadsacks.

Me, knowing some rather intelligent ones who don't bitch every second they're awake is comforting. Knowing about a million who think because they're gay they get some kind of moral superiority over everyone is nightmarish.

They expect to exact what little dominance they have over something they wish to emulate. I hope the woman will be handsomely rewarded with, like, a thank you or something. Discrimination isn't cool. Unless it's kept on online forums hosting little more than pieces of random thoughts we call communication I NAME NO NAMES.

FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:57 am  Reply with quote
Degrassi School President

Silence, negroid!

Rowr!!!!
JCC
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:01 pm  Reply with quote
Internet Jesus

I was hoping this would be about Bret Hart, but oh well.

She shouldn't be allowed to press charges, though. The owner of the bar is a cunt, but is well within his rights as... well, the owner.

BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:53 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Quote:
She shouldn't be allowed to press charges, though. The owner of the bar is a cunt, but is well within his rights as... well, the owner.

I don't think that he's within his rights. He runs a public business and distinctly told the woman that she would have to leave because they don't serve women there. It's exactly the same as how blacks had to sit at the back of the bus or go to different places to eat.

My parents own a high-end jewellery store in the downtown area of our town, right beside an alley and on the path between the two scuzzy hotels of the downtown. We have a locked door and we buzz people in. Some people may say that we discrimminate but there are simply some people around who we do not let in. It would be different if we did not let in a single native or black person, because that would be racial discrimmination.

The owner of this bar was choosing not to serve ALL women. If he wanted to do that without getting caught, then he should have had a private underground nightclub rather than a location in the middle of town where anyone can just wander in.
JCC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:55 pm  Reply with quote
Internet Jesus

caity wrote:
I don't think that he's within his rights. He runs a public business and distinctly told the woman that she would have to leave because they don't serve women there. It's exactly the same as how blacks had to sit at the back of the bus or go to different places to eat.

My parents own a high-end jewellery store in the downtown area of our town, right beside an alley and on the path between the two scuzzy hotels of the downtown. We have a locked door and we buzz people in. Some people may say that we discrimminate but there are simply some people around who we do not let in. It would be different if we did not let in a single native or black person, because that would be racial discrimmination.

The owner of this bar was choosing not to serve ALL women. If he wanted to do that without getting caught, then he should have had a private underground nightclub rather than a location in the middle of town where anyone can just wander in.

Nah, he owns property. It is private property, because it is his, even if the business he runs in it caters to the general "public". It's not publicly owned. Thus, whatever criteria he wants to use for allowing people in or not is his prerogative, and no law has the right to deprive him of that. Same thiing with your parents' business. They own it, their rules.

With that being said, there's certainly right and wrong criteria to use; it just shouldn't come into play with any sort of legal context. If your parents did have a rule at their business that blacks weren't allowed to enter, they'd be scumbags for having it, and most decent people probably wouldn't support their business. This guy, likewise, is a scumbag for the "no women" policy he's instituted at his club. However, if we all just used the law to infringe on peoples' rights just because we don't like the way they use them, there'd be no sense in recognizing the concept of "rights" in the first place.

BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:15 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Yeah okay I can see your point...ah well we'll see how this turns out eventually
Phen Lie-All
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:06 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Well, they clearly did not want their respectable establishment disgraced by feminine filth. The breasted-creature in question should have simply had the courtesy to seek one of THOSE establishment which caters for the heterosexual subversives who only bring ruin to our fine homosexual society. Rolling Eyes

I know I would feel quite violated if I were enjoying a glass of Chateu d'Aneus and cheese in the company of handsome Pierre and a filthy female creature were to barge in in a most undignified manner and bring chaos to my haven. I trust the authorities of Montreal do know what is best in the preservation of Acadia's fine cultural heritage.
Magdalene
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:54 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

yeah, phen's right. that girl probably came in mensturating and breastfeeding junk. then she probably complained to people about her pantyhose and tittered about the the others girls' dating problems. all the guys there probably thought they'd have to pay for her drinks too.
BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:31 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Wow, being grossly misinterpreted is one of my FAVOURITE things. I really just posted this thing as something interesting that was on the news. The woman and her father obviously did not know that this was a men only bar, although they did know it was a gay bar. They wanted a late afternoon beer, they didn't go in there to make a political scene. Obviously the woman would not expect someone else to buy her SINGLE BEER because remember...they're GAY. She went in this place with her father, not a group of giggling girls.

Whatever, haven't heard anything about this since it happened. Seems funny that you can't have a normal discussion in a discussion group.
Magdalene
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:02 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

I was just teasing. sorry caity =(
USAgent
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:40 pm  Reply with quote
Professorman Johnson
Professorman Johnson

Since when have our actions been fabled as "normal"? We clearly are not trying hard enough.