No
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:17 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Just throwing a random topic out there...probably noone cares but neither do I, so just do it!

I've been doing quite a few puzzles lately. I've always been one who really loves the tedious hair-pulling frustration of putting together a jigsaw puzzle. My family gets a new puzzle every Christmas so that was always just what we did once a year. But of late, I've built quite a few cool ones with a mommy friend of mine.

In September while I was awaiting the rupture of my membranes (ie LABOUR!), I built my first 3D puzzle which was of the Reichstad in Germany. Pretty cool, only took me like two afternoons and then I again had nothing else to do. Then I did nothing until Christmas when I devoured our Christmas puzzle in about a day and a half, and then dug out another one and that was when the weekly puzzling started with my friend.

We did a outdoorsy one that had a stream and windmill and trees...then we did one of St. Basal's Cathedral which was pretty cool, then a crazy one where the picture on the box was not actually the picture on the puzzle (it was a "what happens next?" type of thing), and then about a week ago we did a 3D spherical puzzle. It's like some sort of mystical fantasy fairy type thing...but it's SO COOL. The pieces are curved plastic so it's like a hard shell...9" in diameter.

Our next one is sitting in its box still...and it's frightening me. It's a picture of some apartment building in New York and it's all red brick, windows, and stairs. Probably crack that one open sometime this week.
Jeff
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:16 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

Never been one for Jigsaw puzzles but I remember having an old Donald Duck one where he was in a haunted house. Naturally there was a piece missing (the flashlight) so it was eventually thrown away and the missing piece was found a few weeks later under the couch.

Most of my puzzle experience came from playing games like Tetris or just about any point ?n? click adventure game like Shivers or The 7th Guest for classic logic puzzles and Monkey Island/Maniac Mansion for the more unorthodox ones. Occasionally there?s one that mixes both types so you?d finish a symbol based puzzle and then toss a bug zapper into a swimming pool to kill the sea serpent guarding a bag of microwave popcorn.

I always thought those 3D puzzles would?ve been great to have as a kid mostly because it really helps to have a replica of the US Capitol building as opposed to an Apple Jacks box when your 8 year old self is planning Snake Eye?s one man rescue mission of Batman from the clutches of Krang.
ookook
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:00 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

I like puzzles 'cause they make you feel that glimmer of superiority and accomplishment when you finish them. Jigsaw puzzles are fun to pass the time, I suppose, but I much more often pass said time playing puzzle games. Like... Those flashy gemstone/hexagon-matching games or tetris and minesweeper.

Mostly, though, I like those puzzle games that attack you psychologically or make you REALLY think, like in those Escape the Room games.

Also, legos, anyone?

USAgent
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:56 am  Reply with quote
Professorman Johnson
Professorman Johnson

My cape won't work under these conditions.

BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:39 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

I like the mind puzzles too. Bejewelled is awesome...I haven't played it in a couple of years but oh boy do I remember! Tetris will always be the best though.

When I was a kid, we had this game called "Mind Trap" and it was just like two cassettes that were filled with pretty dark riddles and problems, and then the answers were on side B or something. It was cool though...we did it in the car on long trips...murder mysteries and the like.
BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:40 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Haha, I just looked it up on Google and there is a MindTrap website:
http://www.mindtrapgames.com/Framesets/HomepageFS.html

Here's a sample question. No, I don't know the answer, but we can try to figure it out!

Mike Peters was surprised to see his window slide open and was positively shocked when he saw two strangers climb inside. What transpired next could only be described as a despicable act of thievery. Mike watched with rapt fascination as the two thieves systematically began to remove the priceless Persian carpets, artwork, and jewelry. Having stripped the room, the thieves climbed back out the window. Incredibly, Mike went back to what he had been doing before the thieves arrived and soon he'd forgotten about the entire incident. Why wouldn't Mike, who was in perfect health, have tried to stop the thieves or at the very least call the police after they had left?

Or this one:

Professor Herring just returned from a six month vacation in the Middle East. In one of the lectures she gave, she said the highlight of the trip was seeing many of the ancient artifacts first hand. She made mention of having seen several mummies and tapestries dating as far back as 200 B.C. She claimed to have seen coins dated 46 B.C., and weapons made of metal from approximately 500 B.C. What is wrong with Professor Herring's claim?
BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:51 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Nevermind, I do have the answers. You guys figure it out though Evil or Very Mad
ookook
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:47 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Did Mike Peters hire them?
o_o;
*looks up answers* Ohhhhh... Clever...
I got the answer to the second one right, so I'm not gonna say what it is... Ehehehe...

Those riddles are always fun, and I'd share one, but this headache is causing me to not care about thinking too much. So yeah.