ListenToMe.net Forums Forum Index
<  Listen To Me  ~  HOT SWEATY BOOK ACTION
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:35 am  Reply with quote
Degrassi School President

You just mentioned the two books I am writing about in my damn dissertation in the same sentence in your last review, Gringo. That being A Catcher in the Rye and A Confederacy of Dunces. But then I suppose that makes sense because they are EXACTLY THE SAME.

And I love them both so well. :-*

I am pretty cool because I travel to the UK to do an MA in English Lit and then focus all my efforts on American novels. Nobody saw THAT one coming.

Anyway, Confederacy of Dunces is quite a lovely, isn't it? A lot of people have heard of it, but not as many have read it, it seems. The Neon Bible is not as good, but it's all right. I am not talking about the album by the wussband, incidentally.
Gringo
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:49 am  Reply with quote
Sheriff de El Town

:-*

I think both books are rather spiffy, which is why Mardi Gras in the Moment pissed me off even more than usual because it was blatantly ripping them off. I do prefer Confederacy over Catcher and I agree it is a lovely.

Also me! I have read The Neon Bible and while I didn't think it was well written as Confederacy, I still enjoyed this machine. Yay for upbeat!
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:30 pm  Reply with quote
Degrassi School President

I think I prefer Confederacy as well mostly because Ignatius farts all the time and repeatedly says "Oh, my God!"

Actually there was a period where I thought that phrase (with that specific punctuation) was so funny that it's all over reviews on this very website. Actually, the blurb for the Powerpuff Girls comics on the comic page has it twice.

SECRET LTM INNERWORKINGS MAGIC REVEALED!!!!!!!!!! ! ! ! ! banana
Silence
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:12 am  Reply with quote
Steven!
Steven!

hey! I'm reading Catcher in the Rye at the moment.

It's good so far. I like the whole, first-person, colloquial writing style. If you know what I mean.

USAgent
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:11 am  Reply with quote
Professorman Johnson
Professorman Johnson

I really need to apply for a job as a writer in the book business. Sure, I'd have to never see friends and family again because I'd no longer exist or be remotely visible, but I think I'd get used to it. And not just because I'm almost virtually like that to them already. Not even.