ListenToMe.net Forums Forum Index
<  Listen To Me  ~  Jew? No.
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:14 pm  Reply with quote
Degrassi School President

I did not know anything of Juno except that it was supposed to be good and about teenage pregnancy, but now I have read the Gringo review and seen the trailer and it looks really painful. The homeskillet line is actually in the trailer as though this is supposed to be something that makes me want to go see the movie. It appears everyone in the film just rattles off nonsense at the drop of a homeskillet. Very irritating. Also ALL CRITICS EVER except like five LOVE IT. So emotional and teen-accurate? BULLPOOP.

I sort of still want to see it, but mostly just to hate it, because I am pretty sure I will now.

Also, Michael Cera's okay but I've seen him play the following two roles:

1 - Awkward boy

2 - Overly tough guy because, get it?, lol, it totally doesn't suit him!!

And, "wizard" is actually a term used to mean "cool," I've heard of it before. I just have no idea who actually does it. I am pretty sure it was a race of annoying weirdos and most of them died out.
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

I am also just amazed that this is actually a line from the film: "Silencio! I just drank my weight in Sunny D and I have to go, pronto."
BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:42 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

I'd never even heard of this movie before Gringo wrote a review about it...and then I researched a little and saw how many good reviews there are. But the more I researched, the less impressed I was with it. What's with the sudden pregnancy obsession in the pop culture of America? Every National Enquirer we see has pregnant celebrities all over it, and it seems like every other box-office hit has something to do with pregnancy. It's like the world only just started having babies, and Hollywood feels as though it needs to document this phenomenon, lest it suddenly cease. It's like that movie Children of Men, which was a very good movie by the way. Anyways, Juno looks retarded.
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:33 am  Reply with quote

Yeah, I do think it is a bit odd that it was Knocked Up and now this. Knocked Up was pretty good though.

Also, because I tend to obsess over things I don't really like, I have found these clips with the writer of Juno, whose name is SO TOTALLY HER REAL NAME I BET, and the lead acterss, Ellen Page, that should sufficiently make anybody hate them both a lot more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kn5hRloWTc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3sjz3SbGpM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18407ZHxbgc
Magdalene
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:16 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

i think i only liked michael cera in arrested development. superbad was easily one of the most offensive films I've seen in the last few years, and despite how hard it wants to be an indie film, it looks quite corporate and intolerable. too bad, i was really looking forward to seeing jason bateman and michael cera together again. by the way, I've seen season 2 of the office, and so far arrested dev. is still much more funny. the office is ok, but i think the characters must be so dull if their job is -so- the focal point of their lives, and i dont like it that jim and pam make fun of michael, like what kind of boss do they want? he's pretty nice. also i dont see much of a reason jim is so much better for pam than roy. they're just typical office friends.
Magdalene
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:18 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

about the babies... maybe our government is trying to get us to do lots of reproduction so our children can pay for our social security.
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Superbad is pretty good. Children are that horrible at that age; I think a fair amount of the offensiveness is quite accurate. I don't think it was trying to be very indie... Unless you were talking about Juno there.

The US version of The Office is fine enough. The British one is completely different and better. Michael is a tit.
Magdalene
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:01 pm  Reply with quote
Sheckerz
Sheckerz

I was talking about juno. about superbad, if kids that age are horrible, and you're writing a film to appeal to them, doesnt it make sense the film would be horrible?
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

I don't think they were so much appealing to kids at that age as they were poking fun at them. Although I bet kids that age wanted to see it too. At my theater they were turning people away who were too young and without guardians of a certain age!

Also, this movie offensiveness is almost entirely dialogue-based, which you can't say for a lot of mainstream comedies, which go for visual gross-outs pretty often. Anyway, I guess if you were offended by it you aren't going to like it, but it had decent content behind the offensiveness, which, again, wasn't really cheap, but usually basically accurate.
PK
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:59 pm  Reply with quote
Steven!
Steven!

Eh I thought Juno was kinda funny. I think they said random references in Superbad as well. Kids DO talk both vulgary and all pop culturey now, by the by, cause I was stuck around my 16 year old brothers friends and they make up words and say hip things like its cool. So it really happens. Gringo's just old.
Silence
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:17 am  Reply with quote
Steven!
Steven!

I thought Juno was really, really good.

to Joe:

a) Why the hell are you letting yourself judge Juno on Gringos opinion and other things like those youtube videos.

b) I can't believe you though superbad was good despite it's surface offensiveness, yet you haven't even seen Juno and you say it's worse???

By the way, almost every review mentions how excited they are about seeing what else Ellen Page can do. They did the same for Hard Candy which is a sharp, clever suspense movie from last year or so which Ellen Page was also the lead.

FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:48 am  Reply with quote

a) I am letting myself judge Juno based on Gringo's review because he makes reference to things that I believe will annoy me and the Youtube videos because they DO annoy me.

b) I don't see the relationship between the surface offensiveness of Superbad and Juno. Juno doesn't strike me as particularly offensive; it's just annoying and pretentious from what I've seen.

That said, yes, judging something without seeing it rings more than a bit hollow, I suppose, and makes me somewhat like the Catholic church so I do intend to see Juno so I can hate it more proficiently; it's out in a week or two here in the UK. I can't really know if I'll actually expressly hate it, but I think a fair bit of it will get on my nerves.

I haven't seen Hard Candy, but I've sort of judged it already too based on the fact that quite a lot of it seems to come back to: "So! Is she gonna cut off his johnson or not!? Oooh, suspense!!" I don't know if I'll ever see that movie because I don't go around complaining about it so I have no real need.

But I'm not saying Ellen Page is necessarily a bad actress or anything, I'm just saying her and the screenwriter are so irritatingly goddamned proud of themselves for the work they're doing. "Omg I only take roles that challenge me!" Like in X-Men? What was the challenge there? The running? You revolutionary, you!!
BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:14 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

A few of my friends have told me how great Juno is but I don't know if I want to see it. I think it would just piss me off, and I don't want to subject myself to that.

What I don't like about the stuff I've read and seen about it so far, is the plot itself. LIKE OMG I'M PREGGO SO I GOTTA GIVE UP THE KID, LIKE NO WAY I'M GONNA TAKE RESPONSIBILTY FOR MY ACTIONS OR LIKE WIZARD!! Or something like that. I guess I'm just a little bit self-righteous about what I'm doing. However, there are no positive morals being taught here...how old is this girl, like 13? Teen pregnancy is being made out to be a funny thing that you can just pass on to some perfect couple who lives down the street. Life doesn't work that way. Why aren't they teaching abstinence? Why didn't they make the movie about a teenager who got pregnant and is now struggling because she's a single mom? Nope, there are no consequences for teen pregnancy, you can just "get rid of it", so to speak. Granted they aren't supporting abortion through this movie, but it's still teaching little girls that if they do happen to get pregnant in their sexually active lifestyles, they can just put it up for adoption and life will be just ducky. Yeah I'm just a little touchy on that subject.

It's very similar to the reasons why I didn't like Knocked Up. It just doesn't work that way...if it was actually realistic (like they were trying for), the guy would have run as far as he possibly could and she would have been left high and dry, with a baby to raise on her own.

I dunno, I just hate Hollywood and what it does with things like this. Anyone who hasn't lived anything like that just thinks its funny whereas someone who has life experience in those matters just finds it insulting.
FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:03 am  Reply with quote

Obviously, I'm less sensitive about this sort of thing and still think Knocked Up is s pretty decent, albeit admittedly unrealistic movie. Plus, it at least had the characters going through what felt like some relatively genuine emotions at some points.

Juno, although I'll go see it to confirm how I feel about it, does seem to be how you think, from what I've read. It's basically some girl who is just so dismissive to EVERYTHING EVER that she doesn't even react to the pregnancy as though it's at all a particularly serious situation. And nearly everyone in the movie, her parents included, respond to it jokingly like it's EH THAT'S NOT SO GOOD, NOW HERE'S A PUN/POP CULTURE REFERENCE.

I suppose there's an argument that that's how THE WORLD OF JUNO works and you just accept that and then partake in whatever sort of messages are contained within regardless, but, at least right now, it sort of feels like it doesn't fit to me because it wants to tackle a serious issue with a bunch of caricatures of real people. Also, they apparently try to cram some emotion into Juno's character nearer to the end, which seems to add in to what I think of it so far.

BUT STILL I MOSTLY CONJECTURE! I will see it in a week or so.