ListenToMe.net Forums Forum Index
<  Listen To Me  ~  PICK UP LINEZ

Obligatory.
Does this chloroform smell like chloroform to you?
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
If I were to ask you, "Will you have sex with me?", would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
I'LL KILL YOU IF YOU DON'T HAVE SEX WITH ME.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
That shirt would look good on my floor, next to your lifeless body.
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
You can call me milk, cause I'll do your body good.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Your sister couldn't get away, WHY DO YOU THINK YOU CAN?
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
How do you like your eggs? Fertilized?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Do you work at Subway? Because you just gave me a footlong.
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Did you fart? 'Cause you blew me away.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

FortheLoveofJoe
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:23 am  Reply with quote
Degrassi School President

I at this point don't really even consider internet relationships, as in ones where the people have never actually met, to be real relationships. As it is already true that you can never completely know anybody, even a person you are extremely close with in real life, the notion that you can believe you know someone well enough to think you have some kind of deep connection (haha internet connection get it) online is entirely ludicrous to me in retrospect. The simple aspect of having someone in your presence and speaking to them face to face is, I think, so important in judging how you feel towards that person. I know there are microphones and webcams and whatnot; it's not the same.

I will not discount the possibility (I know someone it apparently happened to) of meeting someone online and then getting together in real life and finding out they really are a good match for you, but I would say I imagine it is quite rare.

That said, internet relationships seemed like a good idea to me at the time I tried them out because I was a young, lonely, awkward boy in actual society, so it was far easier to stay within the comfort zone of my computer and "meet" "girls" in a virtual setting. This significantly decreases the pressure of the situation because you don't have to legitimately interact and, also, allows you to exhibit the illusion of intimacy, while never having to actually venture into such frightening territory.

Of course, as the people I tried this with always lived miles upon miles away from me, it became clear what resounding failures these attempts at "relationships" were and they mostly pretty much just gradually faded away without any major I'M BREAKING UP WITH YOU type events, which just proves how incidental these things really are. I am happy to say I have now moved on to failing in good old reality.

And that is the story of the internet.
BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:15 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Yeah, I agree with what you said Joe.

A year and a bit after the fact, I can look back on something like that and think about how strange it really was. When we first started "dating", I was 17 and he was 24. That in itself is highly questionable, but he made me feel like a million dollars, and that was a very nice thing for a teenage girl who wasn't overly confident about herself and didn't have much in common with people in her small town (oh yeah, I still have nothing in common with people in this town!). He was a doctor's kid from New York who has had everything handed to him in life, and used to have a coke problem (Oh god, how terrible to recall this...it didn't seem so bad when I was in it). But lies spun more lies and over time it got to the point where he was talking about marrying me, and we STILL had not talked on the phone, I had not seen him on a webcam, or heard his voice on a microphone. How fucking messed up hey. But yeah, last year he was supposed to come her for Christmas and right before he said his "flight" left, my brother was talking to one of his internet friends who also knew this guy...apparently he had many relationships running at the same time, to the same magnitude. I flipped out, he flipped out and told me he wanted me to die and all this shit and it was a big mess...he got back into his coke problem (or was he ever out of it?) and yeah. Haven't talked to him in about a year now, and I couldn't be happier. I felt so relieved to be out of that shit, and now I can live my life on my own. It was sort of like I was in an abusive relationship but I've never even met the guy. Very weird. So yeah then I became pregnant and now I have an amazing little dude and I'll never be alone in this world. I couldn't be happier, although I do often think back and wonder why I wasted my high school years thinking I found the man of my dreams.

Internet relationships are the devil. And yeah, I have heard of some that worked out...but how are you supposed to know what is truth and what isn't? There's no way. I could have been talking to a 90 year old lesbian for all I knew. Blah, I'm so glad I'm past that point in my life. An internet relationship is not in the least a real relationship...there is so much more to a relationship that you need for it to be truly functional.
Silence
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:04 am  Reply with quote
Steven!
Steven!

At least now, you can help deter people from falling into those traps using what you know now.

I've been thinking lately that there are so many situations in life that where you have to make a choice to do the right thing or give in and hope to get away with it. But the thing is, you never really get away with it. The very act of "getting away with it" usually involves a lot of lying, covering up and other messy things we don't anticipate. It happens so often but we just say "oh, now that I know what to do to avoid messy consequences, I can do it again." But that never works either. Trust me, if you're tempted to do something you know isn't exactly right, your mind is bound to come up with a million excuses to persuade you.

I've decided to set my standards and boundaries and stick with them. If the "little devil on my shoulder" is trying to persuade me, I'll be fine. It's not that hard to block that out and not listen to it.

Baofu
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:10 am  Reply with quote
Zemocles
Zemocles

*squeezes out an orange*

I'm sorry. I have sweat in my hand.
Silence
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:17 am  Reply with quote
Steven!
Steven!

Baofu wrote:
*squeezes out an orange*

I'm sorry. I have sweat in my hand.

Shocked ??

Baofu
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:28 am  Reply with quote
Zemocles
Zemocles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QaO8t-Tejk
Phen Lie-All
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:53 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

You know, Caity, I can't possibly be as big a jerk as that dude. I've never had a coke problem and I don't really have any other Internet relationships going at the moment. Well, I met a girl from Kuwait playing World of Warcraft but it's like not really anything special. At least nothing amazingly romantic like what we have here on this forum. Actually, I have more fun with her slaying evil trolls and we have like so much in common. We both play Alliance! She's a gnome warlock and I'm a dwarf hunter. I really think we have something going here. And the best part is that she doesn't speak much English only some form of uh, Anglicized-Arabic thing (which is known only as ARBK!!) which I somehow understand. I speak some ARBK!!.

I'm sorry to tell you this, Caity, but we may not have a future together unless you also play Alliance as a female dwarf. I only wanted to marry you for Canadian citizenship and because I think Kaspar is a cool dude.

WORLD OF WARCRAFT ROCKS!!!
BabyDragon'sMom
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:02 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Blah, my brother plays World of Warcraft and he plays Horde. He's an undead something or other. I know he plays a girl character and I think she does magic. I'm not sure. He hates Alliance and on Halloween he led a huge zombie walk with other undead people in his guild and a couple of other guilds and they raided some Alliance village, kicked some assssssss

Yep, I know all about World of Warcraft. And I agree, it will never work out between us Phen. Sorry to say. Although I also agree with you that Kaspar is indeed a cool dude.
Silence
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:11 am  Reply with quote
Steven!
Steven!

Baofu wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QaO8t-Tejk

That quote wasn't really that funny. I dunno, maybe the afro was putting me off.

AARRGGHHH!!! MY INTERNET IS SHAPED! THE PAIN!!

CURSE YOU DIAL-UP!!!!

>:O

Phen Lie-All
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:14 pm  Reply with quote
Wisegay
Wisegay

Oh, I don't really know about the raids and all that because I am still a low level char. And uh, I have not talked to that Kuwaiti girl again. I win! You shouldn't say the word "never", Caity, because you don't know for sure. Never implies a complete surrender of all hope and possibility and it makes one look rather pessimistic. And if you have an attitude like that you will only end up with milk poured over your FACE. See, we could do stuff together like look at canyons and snowy peaks.

That anime is funnier than any old racist WB cartoon! That would so totally happen in reality. Big black dude thinks he's so tough but look what happens. This is proof that Japan has greater freedom of expression than the US and far, far greater than Marxist Canada. This would be all over the news if it was a Western cartoon and you would have Muslims burning Danish flags. Japan and South Korea are clearly the world's ONLY civilised nations.